Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsgrimes

Help! Leaking shower stall

tsgrimes
9 years ago

I have re-chalked shower and this still exists. It feels wet and damp after my daughter showers. What did I do wrong?n the leaking started first - then I let air dry and re-chalked. Dried for 24 hours and still this. Can someone help me?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

What are we looking at? Is this the drywall butting the shower?

• tsgrimes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a finished wall. :(

• tsgrimes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's like the water is coming from the crack but I've caulked it and it feels dry. It's happening on this side too.

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

Might it be as simple as splash from the shower via an ill-fitting door or curtain (can't tell which)? I had that and remedied it temporarily with a line of baseboard tile going up a foot or so.

Or might it be the tile on the other side of that tile jamb needing grout and this is from continued seeping? Again, pics.

Or perhaps water running there from an innocuous place?

OK, that last one was a wild guess. Really.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Caulking the outside of the shower won't help. Your problem is coming from inside the shower, and if you re-caulked that already and still have the problem, then perhaps you have a leaky pipe inside the walls? All that damaged sheetrock will have to come out so you can peek inside the wall.

-Babka

• tsgrimes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another pic

• tsgrimes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Other side - inside shower

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I might have also guessed a leaky pipe, except you have it on both sides... To me, that rules that out.

Clearly, you aren't getting a seal somewhere. Can you SEE it happening as someone is showering? Is it that fast? If so, perhaps you can figure out where the water is coming from then.

• tsgrimes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm thinking about taking the door off. Re-caulk. Dry. Put door back on. What does everyone think?

• enduring
    9 years ago

I think you need to open the door and stand back about 5 feet and take a picture so it shows the whole shower. It is really hard to see the setup from these close ups. Can you get the whole shower in a shot?

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

My 30 year old master shower was doing that very same thing and the sheetrock was wet in the very same place as yours. We had to have to entire shower replaced. When the old tile was removed, it was discovered that the tile was on sheetrock with no waterproofing membrane at all. No amount of caulk in the world could have prevented the water from seeping out of that shower. It was positively porous!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

tsgrimes:

You really need to give a very detailed description of your pictures. They may seem obvious to you, but they aren't to viewers. Something like "View from standing in shower corner facing the door which is on the leftâ¦."

It may be moot anyway. Tap on the tile and I'll bet you get a hollow sound especially in the areas near the leaks. I'm fairly sure you've got jerzeegirl's problem.