Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marble or subway tile in shower?

Posted by dvarnell (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 18:34

So I've FINALLY selected an 18 x 18 carrara venatino marble for my master bath floor. Countertops and shower bench will also be Carrara, but I'm still struggling on the shower itself. There will be an accent tile and shower floor in a white thassos/ming green marble mosaic, but I'm deciding between white subways in a running bond below the accent and then matching square tiles set on a diagonal above it OR doing the same marble as the bathroom floor ion the shower walls (12 x 12s set straight below the accent and 6x6s set on a diagonal above it). The background on the marble is pretty white so I'm not worried about the match with the thassos. I like the look of the subway tile, crisp and clean, but worry that it might look less 'luxe' than the marble (even thought cost is comparable). Also wonder if the smaller format on the subways looks too busy in a sizable shower. I'll take any advice/thoughts/two cents you have to offer!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marble or subway tile in shower?

I did the 12 x 12 throughout the bathroom and in the shower with mosaics on the floor and in a band at about 5 feet high. I needed to keep things quiet because it is a long narrow bath. I like a less busy look. I posted some pictures last June under "Pics of my new bathrooms."

o
RE: Marble or subway tile in shower?

here's a couple of bathrooms with subway walls and carrara bathroom floors, and tumbled shower floors:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here