Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nolagirl_gw

classic/period/retro white hex/subway advice?

nolagirl
16 years ago

Hello everyone -- I am renovating my tiny master bath in my tiny circa 1820-1830 two-bay Creole cottage in New Orleans. The house was last renovated 30 years ago. The bathroom is very small and tucked in the eaves of the roof, in the former attic space on the second loor. It has a 30" vanity and a shower -- no tub. There is beadboard on the walls now, which I will keep but paint white. The countertop of my old cypress vanity will be Cararra marble.

I want to do an old-fashioned retro bathroom for that timeless look, and I was thinking of plain white 1" hex tiles on the floor in both the room and the shower, and white 3 x 6 subway tiles on the walls of the shower stall. I realize that strictly speaking, the flat tiles from Subway Ceramics and other specialized sources are the true authentic style of tile, but I'm not willing to spend the extra money -- since this house and the other renovations are all pretty expensive, I need to save somewhere. So, I gather that my sources are going to be American Olean and Daltile. I am not too picky about all this: I just want the most classic, vintage-y look possible.

I have been searching through the forum and have learned so much already, so thanks to everyone. I saw on another post that Bill Vincent said: "You're never going to match two different materials, or two different lines of tile up exactly, nor should one expect to see that happen. ESPECIALLY white. It's actually the hardest color to match, even in the same material! That said, the gloss white rittenhouse with the 1" hex is as classic as it gets, REGARDLESS of the fact that they don't match up exactly in color."

So my question is: OK, I'll get the Rittenhouse in gloss white, and the 1" hex in __________ (what is the name of the 1" hex color)?

Also, what would the most classic grout color be? (I'm not sure of the brand I'll be buying, but I know there are a handfful of major ones and I'm sure I can get any of those.) And grout lines should simply be as narrow as possible on the subways?

Of course, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be thrilled to hear them, too! Thanks!

Comments (15)

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Rittenhouse would be 100 white. As for the hex, the color name is white (very original! :-) ) As for the hex grout color, if you're looking to have the grey period look, look into the following colors:

Laticrete Silver Shadow or Light Pewter

Hydroment Mobe Pearl

Custom Building Products Platinum

Mapei Warm Bray

• nolagirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks so much, Bill! Would it be period-appropriate to use the same grout for the subway tile walls that I use for the hex on the floor?

• peavee
    16 years ago

Bill, What about using antique white for subway tile grout?

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

I could see that bathroom over and over :)

American Olean Satinglo is their line of matte glazed floortile and it comes in a 1" hex pattern (also white with satin black dots available most places that carry AO and matte white with gloss black dots available at lowes). I have samples of both and the glazed seems FAR easier to clean than the unglazed, so even though it's not period correct, I'll be going for glazed.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

thanks so much, Bill! Would it be period-appropriate to use the same grout for the subway tile walls that I use for the hex on the floor?

Absolutely. If you look at jejvtr's pics, you'll see it does have a very nostalgic look to it.

Bill, What about using antique white for subway tile grout?

I don't see why not. Just about ANY soft colored grout will look good with it. Subtle enough that it doesn't overpower the tile, but with enough contrast to bring out the pattern.

jejvtr-- it was all you, lady!! I just advised you on what to use!!

• piegirltoo
    16 years ago

jejvtr, are you the one who found the no-name hex at the Tileshop? I got samples of the matte glaze and love them. However they were unwilling to sell them to me directly, and referred me to OTM (oregon tile & marble) who nearly doubled the price! Maybe I'll call Tileshop again.

That's a darling bathroom you've created!

• nolagirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great photos, jejvtr! I love your bathroom! Thanks so much taking the time to post them. And thanks to everyone else for your comments and advice!

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

yes, that would be me - local shop in Ct - made in China go figure!
    My tile guy saw them and canceled a huge order he had at another place trade pricing of $7 sq ft(American Olean) and went w/the same as I used -

• soigne
    16 years ago

Reposted from the Old House Forum:

I just discovered Subway Ceramics today. I am contemplating installing their white 3x6 for a kitchen backsplash (white Ikea kithcen--Lidingo--with oak floors, stainless steel perimeter counters and lyptus butcher block island top). Has anyone installed SC's product (or had it installed?) Frankly, I am worried that my tileman (who I am sure is proficient but no artisan) will not get the 1/16" grout lines right, which I want gray-colored.

Also,I am at odds with my wife and decorator over this. They want handmade white-glazed terracotta 3x6 subway with irregularities in the size--and white grout. I'm sure it's a nice look, but it ain't what they got in the subway.

I'm from New York City and had a "train pass" in high school. I'm also a lifelong subway buff who visited the old Jay St. Transit Museum at least 20 times. Wife and Decorator are from Jersey...nome sayin?

Anyway, my wife is cool with me making the ultimate call on the backsplash 'cuz she is in total control of exterior and interior paint colors, but we still need to hammer out all the kinks, so to speak.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether I should believe the hype that SC spews about being the only manufacturer of truly flat, square-edged subway tile. Also, is obtaining uniform 1/16 " grout lines some kind of tremendous installation challenge? Comment?

(My backsplash is only about 31 sf, so cost is not a major issue.)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.subwayceramics.com/

• craftsman_cutie
    16 years ago

Restoration Tile also produces period subway tiles and hex tiles. Mr. Byrd does some pretty fancy mosaic work as well. The web site is www.restorationtile.com.

• mollyshumom
    16 years ago

My renovation is almost finished. The guest bathroom has white subway on the walls and white hex on the floor. The tiles we used are DalTile K101 3X6 on the walls and matte white 6501 2" hex on the floor, with del grey grout. The walls above the wainskote have not been painted yet.

• dontcallmeshirley
    16 years ago

jejvtr, where did you get your console sink? Are you happy with it in your master bath?

• gsciencechick
    15 years ago

I just LOVE these bathrooms and have to give this a bump!

• sherwhy
    13 years ago

Love the hex....let's give it a bump!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars150 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource