Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waterproof paint above tub w/ shower?

Posted by morgang48 (My Page) on
Fri, May 31, 13 at 18:05

Here's the facts: Very small budget, on Social Security. 90 year old house, plaster/lathe walls. Inset tub area has 2' good tile above it, then ugly vinyl wallpaper to the ceiling. Probably oil based paint underneath. I have used a handheld shower and hung clear plastic shower curtain in front of (but not clinging to) the walls for 7 years, no damage I can see. Shower used 1-2x/week, dries quickly.

Now I want to paint the whole bathroom, using waterproof paint in the tub area. Here are options I'm considering:

1) Valspar Ultra Premium OIL-BASED Int/Ext Porch/Floor Enamel which is polyurethane-fortified high-gloss. (I'm leaning toward this one)

2) I have used Zinsser Water Tite on my basement walls with good results. It says it's for concrete but would it work over the plaster wall?

3) A local paint counter person also suggested "maybe" epoxy paint would work, Valspar epoxy clear-coat made for over concrete.

It's just me in the house, and I need to DIY. I expect to live here another 15-20 years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waterproof paint above tub w/ shower?

If you expect to live there another 20 years, then kludging this ought to be off of your radar. If you want to turn this into an actual tub/shower that for sure won't have water damage, then you need to save your pennies to do the reno right.

In the meantime, for the next few years while you do that saving, if you are fearful of the potential for water damage, as you ought to be, covering the walls with something like FRP would work better than paint. You can find it at the local box stores, and although not pretty, if you keep the corner seam caulked, it will be waterproof until you can rip everything out and start over with a correctly built tub/shower area.

Then you can use any semi gloss paint outside the wet area. And either run the vent fan or open a window after use to keep things well dried out. Moisture is the enemy of all homes.

o
RE: Waterproof paint above tub w/ shower?

Waterproof paint cannot replace your shower curtain. You must keep the walls dry and then let the room dry out, as well.

Hollysprings urges you to save up for a real shower alcove installation. I understand that your finances are limited. I wonder if there are any church groups or grant programs for keeping seniors in their homes that could assist you with your project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here