Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Constant adjustment of lever in pressure balance valve shower?

Posted by jayco (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 17:41

In our new shower we have a Grohe pressure balanced valve. When we shower we need to constantly keep turning the lever higher to maintain the correct temperature. Is this normal? We do live in an older house but I was wondering if it could be something wrong with the valve or the way it was installed. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Constant adjustment of lever in pressure balance valve shower

is anyone else using hot water at the time you experience this ?

o

No, it isn't due to other usage.

o

We have a Grohe Aquatower with pressure balance system and do not experience any problems maintaining the temperature. I guess due to the location of the MB the water coming out of this shower is cooler overall than the water in the shower of the hall bathroom which is closer to the water heater.

o

Are you on well water or city water?

o

City water. Bathroom is upstairs.

o

Might ask over on the plumbing forum , but sounds like you have a faulty cartridge.

The temp shouldn't swing very much at all but the FLOW could very well decrease when someone else opens a tap for water.

You might check the temp limit stop to see where it's set. Might be too low ?

o

No, it's definitely not too low. The water gets nice and hot; I step in the shower, and as I shower I have to keep nudging it further toward hot to maintain the temp. I take relatively short showers, too, so it's happening pretty fast. The pressure does not seem to change much.

o

I'd call Grohe and ask their tech guys, but I suspect a bad cartridge if it's as you describe.

Another thing to consider is your body adjusting to the heat. After a while the hot doesn't seem hot anymore. Think of the frog boiled to death in a pot with water starting at room temp.
Have you checked the ACTUAL temps with an instant read thermometer at startup and again at 5 min. in ?

o

Yes, that is true, I considered that. But I feel it's more noticeable in the new shower than in the old.

Is there any possibility it could be due to a plumbing mistake? Because our plumbers made a few sloppy errors, and I know Grohe is well-reputed.

o

If they did not take the shut off seals out when they sweat soldered it, they may be damaged.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here