Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need new bathroom faucets that will complement polished brass

Posted by elleleegreen (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 17:24

Hi, I'm new to this board and it seems like such a great resource I'm hoping someone out there has had this same problem and found a solution they will share.

We are remodeling our traditional style house for resale.
We need to replace the master bathrooms (a his and her) faucets. They are the shiny polished brass/crystal glass knob ones from the 1980's and look old and tacky.

The other hardware in the bathrooms (shower, bathtub,) is high quality polished brass. It would be very expensive to replace everything, but if I could get by with just replacing the sink faucets and towel racks, it would be fine. The house has polished brass door handles, hinges, etc. but they aren't super shiny so they don't bother me so much.

I have replaced lighting and kitchen knob hardware with Oil Rubbed Bronze.

I don't like the thought of replacing the bath faucets with new polished brass again, as I'm worry it will still look dated.

Has anyone had this issue trying to update some of the polished brass in their home?

Any opinions or ideas on just replacing some of the polished brass and leaving the rest, and is so, what finish looks good with the polished brass.

PS Both bathrooms have off white vanity and porcelein off white tiles.

Thank you very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need new bathroom faucets that will complement polished bras

Well the 80's are kind of in again...maybe just replace with better quality brass that will match the tub filler and shower. Unlaquered (not so shiney) brass is pretty popular right now - starting to show up in more and more magazines.

o

I would replace it with brass so it matches or is closely coordinated. If I were a potential buyer I would wonder if the non-matching faucets were a quick fix. I think this is one of those situations where keeping the finishes the same is more important.

o

Thank you both so much for your suggestion. Sounds like I'll get another brass. yeah 80's. Thank you for helping me to make the right decision for the resale, really appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here