Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itltrot_gw

Bathroom remodel frustrations!!

itltrot
9 years ago

My masterbath remodel just slapped me with another setback. I am beyond frustrated and a little heart broken.

The shower tile I've had picked out for 3 years while saving for this remodel is not available. I ordered it 2 weeks ago and checked the status after not hearing anything. December. That's when they "think" the next batch of tiles will be available.

I can't wait until December for this tile. The shower has been down for over 3 years and the room has been gutted to studs since October. It's finally has insulation, walls and ceiling after numerous setbacks.

I've looked and looked and can't find anything I love or even like as much as the tile that's not available.

Shower floor tile WAS Moss Hexagon from Tile Shop, walls 4x12 white tile, white vanities, walnut wood look tiles in main bath, multi colored matte glass tiles for accent, chrome fixtures and Titanuim granite.

I liked these tiles because they were ceramic and not porous. They weren't too light nor too dark. We have hard water so deposit buildup can be an issue.

I don't think we can properly care for marble (which is the only other tile I've found).

I love the hex shape because it was unexpected. We also planned on installing the wall tile in a herringbone pattern.

Here's a picture of the tile which looks better than the website picture. It's a nice blue/grey/green tile. This is the penny round version.

Anyone have any suggestions? *bangs her head on desk*

Comments (19)

• jrueter
    9 years ago

Oh, I feel your pain!

You could use the moss penny rounds from Tile Shop. The look is similar, and it looks like a great color match for your fabrics.

Or you might want to check out HD Merola tile. There are white arabesque tiles that would be unexpected (and other colors too), as well as white bubbles (large and small circles), white pebbles (large and small random shapes in porcelain). The pebbles also come in a moss color that might work in your MBR.

Good luck!

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

I can see why you're so disappointed. It looks nice with the fabric choices. Really nice. Have you checked overstock.com? I know you would have to order a sample to really see the color but maybe you can find one close.

Here is a link that might be useful: overstock vintage style tiles

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

There are zillions of tile. I'm sure one will spark a love. Keep looking.

• sloyder
    9 years ago

Having a similar issue myself right now, found the tile however Wayfair keeps telling me out of stock when the mfg has it (last chat with them was a couple weeks ago where they said it was in stock, but the computer needed to be updated in 24-72hrs). Would go elsewhere but I get free shipping, and a 10% discount.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are the tiles from the tile shop. Penny and hex are out of stock. I looked long and hard for these. I'm just frustrated to be back to looking when the shower could've been done within a month.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking. Even DH is helping.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Sorry I cant see the picture you posted (its probably because of my Kindle). I looked on the Tile Shop, and they say there is a gloss hex moss tile in stock. Unless its onenof those switch jobs where after you order it they send you a notice its out of stock.

If the link below if different than what you want then let me know. I will help you look. I'm a professional researcher. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: hex gloss moss tile

• itltrot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's the tile. It's not in stock despite what the website leads you to believe. When I asked why they allow people to order product that's not in stock, they said they were allowing me to "reserve" it.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

I hate it when companies do that.

Well off of the top of my head there is a company that specializes is reproduction tile. The company is Restoration Tile and while they do not have that same color they have some similar ones that sort of dance around the Tile Shop one. They do have hex and squares but are sort of limited in colors as they only use historical colors. Maybe they could mix something new though. Their company is in Little Rock AR.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Restoration Tile

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Its hard to accurately read colors on the monitor, but this is the closest so far I have found.

Have you looked at faux stone tile in porcelain? I think there are lots of people on the forum now who have used them. You get the pretty look without the maintenance. Crema Marfil would be pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Somertile hex tile on Amazon

This post was edited by IowaCommute on Wed, May 28, 14 at 10:47

• homepro01
    9 years ago

How about Ann Sacks Savoy? It looks very close. I can't speak for the site that I linked but there are other places to get Ann Sacks tiles.
    Susan Jablon may be another option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Sacks Savoy

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

You said you wanted something unexpected so you could go with encaustic tile or another patterned tile. The link below has some of the more modern yet simple encaustic tile patterns.

Mosaic House is my favorite tile site. They have a lot of Morroccan style tile but many are simple geometric patterns. I quilt and would love to use some of my favorite patterns. There are a ton of pictures of their their tile on Houzz.

Here is a link that might be useful: Imagine Tile

• itltrot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the links! The Ann Sacks looks really similar, just wish it was hex.

I will have to study the other sites as there are sooo many options!

Iowa, I guess I don't know faux stone from real stone. Can you send me in a direction?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Porcelonosa mosaics has an irregular hex.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcelanosa mosaics pages

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Now I can't remember or find faux marble hex but hopefully someone will pipe in while I keep looking.

I did find some pretty faux marble porcelain that comes in different sizes (although squares or rectangles) but the company has some neat pattern suggestions on their site. Maybe instead of using an unexpected tile you could use an unexpected pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirasol from American Oleon

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

These are small squares which I think would be a similar look to the hex because of the size.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Olean Unglazed Porcelain Mosaic

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

One of the creamy hex tile by Merola at Home Depot may have the right undertones for your fabric.

I did find this square tile (it comes in a 2x2 mosaic) and looks like a 'soft' marble if that makes any sense. It has a quiet pattern anyway. You may won't to find some time on their website because they have some neat stuff. The bad thing is I don't think you can get their tile online, but you may get lucky and be close to one of their shops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Tile Basaltina Tile

• itltrot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I swear I posted a reply last night but I guess I didn't hit submit. Who knows.

Iowa, you are an awesome researcher! Thanks for all the links. I am slowly going thru each one for inspiration.

More and more hex that I see that I like is marble. I'm just so hesitant to use it in the shower. I like the bath products I use and don't want to change soap so it's tile friendly.

I did find a couple more hex sources Datile and United Tile.

Oddly enough, I saw the tile I wanted posted on a blog today and I didn't love it. DH agreed that it looked small (it is) and dirty. But I am still sold on hex.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Well kiss me and call me Pinky. I found a marble look 2" hex porcelain tile. Its Crossville Tile, and they have lots of very pretty colors so if you go that way hopefully you will be able to find something.

I don't know where you're located so I put in my zip code to see about retail locations. There are lots of retailers in my rural area so there is a good chance you won't have to travel far to see some of their stuff IRL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crossville Tile Marble Look Hex Tile

This post was edited by IowaCommute on Thu, May 29, 14 at 14:24

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Okay sorry for all of the posts. I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase. ;)

I wanted to add a couple of more sites with just colored hex tile in case you wanted to go that direction.

Luxetile.com has some great porcelain hex mosaics. They dong have a ton of colors but do some some nice ones I haven't seen elsewhere.

Mosaictilesupplies.com has some pretty colors and an elongated hex tile in a Ferrous Gray but its a little pricey.

Hextile.com has the Melange series with different colors. Look at the Pebble and the Pepper.

Bwtile.com also has a hex, and they say they have over 47 colors mostly historic in their collection but do not have them.posted. So you would probably have to ask for a color sheet and if the hex comes in all colors.

Good luck on your tile search, and if you have any questions I would be happy to help. Also the sites in this post I found by Googling "colored hex tile." These were the results from the first page.

This post was edited by IowaCommute on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 12:13

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz