Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itltrot_gw

Shower Head placement?!?

itltrot
10 years ago

Or heads in this case. Our masterbath shower is still in the planning stages but demo should start over Memorial weekend. We are planning on a 5'6" x 36" (upto 42") shower. DH wants 2 shower heads, wand and possibly rain head.

I hoping we could get by with a single shower head and a wand set up to run individually but I'm not sure DH is quite convinced yet.

I am however very unsure on where to place the shower heads. Do I do one on each end of the shower (the 36" or 42")? Or do I place them both on the 5'6" wall?

If they are on the long wall how much splash am I going to have on the glass wall behind it? Should this be a concern? We do have hard water.

Does it make more sense to confine the plumbing to one wall as opposed to two separate ends of the shower? All 3 walls could be accessed from the back side. Two sides share walls with the hall bathroom and the 3rd (36" or 42" wall) is a shared wall to our bedroom.

I'm probably over thinking the whole thing but I plan to do this only once. My thoughts were if the plumbing was all one wall then on the smaller walls I could do the shower niches.

Any suggestions would be great.

Comments (12)

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Can you post a sketch of the proposed shower area? That way everyone can better understand what you are describing. Be sure to show which walls are full height, half height and where the door or opening will be.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

If you want both heads and the rain shower to run at the same time, keep in mind that you may need to have a dedicated water heater for that shower and depending on your water pressure, something to amp up your pressure, too.

A client of mine did a shower with several heads and several body sprays, and the plumber calculated that if it ran off the water heater for the house it would deplete it in slightly under 5 minutes. They needed a special set up just to run that shower. Yours doesn't sound so elaborate but it still could be a consideration.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Geez. This shows how tired my brain was yesterday. I meant to load a layout of the bathroom. I'll do that as soon as I have access to the plans. Sorry!

• itltrot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the basic layout. A few things have changed in the space but nothing that impacts the shower other than measurement discrepancies. The shower space is actually 66" plus the wall.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Do you plan to have a shower door? If you opt for just one shower head and a hand held, you could get away without having a shower door. Our basement bathroom shower is very similar in size and we don't have a door there, just the glass above the half wall. The controls are on the half wall on the left side. The shower head in on the short wall on the left and the hand held is on that same wall near the back corner. We don't have a niche in that shower as it is only used by guests and I was too cheap to put one in there.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are planning on a door and rest in glass. No pony wall. DH and I often shower together and DH wants someway to get wet when I'm hogging the shower head. LOL.

He really wants a rain head but I worry about plumbing in the ceiling/attic, we are in northern Oklahoma. I'd rather skip the rain head and just go with shower head and wand. Mainly the wand for ease of shower cleaning.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

We have a wand and showerhead in a 60x34" space (one at each end) and it works really, really nicely for the 2 of us when we shower simulateously. You can choose either the fixed head or the main head to be a "rain shower" (not a huge one, but still have the effect) if he is dead set on a rain head. But, truthfully, the people I've talked to who have one don't use it. The wand, on the otherhand...

• LE
    10 years ago

Dekeoboe, how wide is the opening for the "door" in your photo?

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

lori - it is 29".

• busybee3
    10 years ago

our shower is similar in size (abit wider...) and have a fixed head on a shorter wall and the 'wand' on the long wall- but close to the opposite end of the other head- i like our setup!!

• busybee3
    10 years ago

our shower is similar in size (abit wider...) and have a fixed head on a shorter wall and the 'wand' on the long wall- but close to the opposite end of the other head- i like our setup!!