Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lillo_gw

You want to have a peek at my new marble floor ?

lillo
10 years ago

Finally, I have one thing done. I don't know which colour of grout to go with ? My tile man says dirty white , to bring the tiles together . I like the platinum colour too . I don't know which one will bring the white in the tile to pop . I don't want it to turn grey on mee.
Anybody did any of these colors with his marble ?

Comments (41)

• sparklebread
    10 years ago

We used mapei warm gray on our bathroom floor.

This post was edited by sparklebread on Thu, May 16, 13 at 16:04

• lstryer
    10 years ago

We used TEC silverado and we are pleased.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Lillo, floor looks wonderful! Can you not have him do up a sample board for you to see the effect the grout has on the tile.?I am not a colour expert, but my lady at Benjamin Moore is really good at knowing what brings what out re warm and cool tones, etc. I personally would contact a colour expert over 'my tile man', LOL.

• sofla
    10 years ago

beautiful, Lillio, congrats.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Pretty, pretty, pretty :)

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you my dear friends enduring ,Sofla and raehelen , thank you for your feedbacks and encouragement . I am really happy with the result .
    No raehelen , I asked the tile man today and he told me that he cannot do that because he has to buy the grout and grout it tomorrow . If he does a sample on the spot it wouldn't show because the grout is darker when wet and it lightens up . I am going to go with Snow White ( I don't know from which co ) for the floor it's a kind of dirty white . I will go with bright white for my shower floor and walls. Today he finished putting the schluter system of the shower and laid the tile there . I will post you a picture for it .
    Thank you sparklebread for the picture , thank you ev2012 for the feedback.

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Raehelen , I finally made the tile man do what you suggested, he bought the two gout colors that I wanted to check and did a sample of one line each on a separate cut pieces of marble . He will come tomorrow to grout .let me show the picture of the result after 3 hours from putting it . How long does it take for the true color to appear ? The right one is the Snow White one and on the left its the bright white . What do you think ?

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh...they are pretty similar! To me the Snow White may be the most practical of the two on the floor. I haven't even begun to think about grout...my cultured marble guy was here yesterday to template for the shower pan, and to pick up my paint sample of what colour I want it. He is going to make up a sample for me before he commits to a whole pan...his idea...just one of the reasons we love him so much...some guys just seem to have figured out how to keep their customers happy!

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is my new shower floor the sun shining on it.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Moving along.... looks good! I'm heading out now to pick blocks for retaining wall, yes, I'm doing a huge landscaping project at the same time...crazy! Then as soon as this BR is done, on to #3, last one!

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good luck raehelen , actually we are changing some windows too . The one in this bathroom and another bathroom and a bedroom . Thanks God my DH is taking care of that . I am only showing around the different sales persons the windows when they come for estimates . I will defenetly be stuck too when they come to install . My next project is changing the carpet in my MBedroom to hardwood. Yeah it's crazy it's a non ending projects .

• sofla
    10 years ago

beautiful shower floor lillo. Things are moving fast. Raehelen and Lillo-
    I too just finished replacing windows in the bathrooms and next project is to pull out our original carpet in master and replace with wood floor, paint, window treatments. I'm taking a break from having contractors here and being hostage to these projects and save a few more paychecks.
    I used bright white for the white thasso marble. The two shown look close to one another. I don't think bright white is going to stay bright white. I like how sparkle breads grout looks above.

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right now bright white is sparkling white like dove tail white . I feel it will be too flashy next some of the marble floor that is giving on the greyish color . It looks ok with the real white ones . The tile man told me it shouldn't change color since we are sealing it twice . I personally right now is leaning towards the Snow White , until I saw it ( there is no light now in the bathroom ) when it dried it looked liked the sample chart color of the bright white . The tile man told me that each bag of grout can be different . That is why the company doesn't guaranty the color of the chart . What brand of windows did you go with . I think we are going with pella architect series . Wow Sofla we are almost doing the same things . But you are ahead of me .

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went with the bright white . Oh boy , it looks so beautiful and brings the white out in all my marble , even the greyish ones are looking whiter now. Thank you again Sofla . I am following your steps in everything . You have been a great help and support . I can't tell you how much I am thankful for your help , enduring help and raehelen and a lot of other members on this web like mayflower and kevinMP . You are all great people.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Thanks for showing your installation. It is very pretty! I bet the qrout isn't quite dry yet, as I see a little halo around the edges as if wet. Please post again after it is dry, I would love to see it.

What brand is the "bright white" and the "snow white". I will be needing something for my white porcelain marble, which I ordered last week. But I have 8-10 weeks before it is here!

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will take another picture for you tomorrow , and I will tell you the brand of the grout . All I know now is that it's from Home Depot . I am so glad that I took the risk of going with the brighter white . It gave me exactly the result that I wanted. It even whitened the tiles that looked greyish before . The tile man was so excited while applying it , he was telling me sure you went with the right color, I envy you , it looks so nice . I just hope to seal it with a good sealant and try to keep it as beautiful .
    Today he tiled half of the shower and build the niches . Tomorrow he will finish up the shower hopefully and grout it after tomorrow .
    I am still waiting for my marble for vanity and tub deck and shower bench to show up . Also waiting for the drawings of my vanity that will be done by the manufacturer .
    I didn't choose the paint yet . I don't even know would he paint before the vanity or after .

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture taken today of part of the floor that is covered with blanckets , because they are working on the shower now. The grout is polyblend sold at Home Depot . The color is bright white .

• sofla
    10 years ago

Beautiful. Makes the tile look yummy. The brand I used was also Polyblend from Home depot. Lillo, did you see the posting of the finished cabinet by wesley and buttercups. Is it the same measurements as what you proposed? It did look nice and clean and they had the hinged garage like you wanted.

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I came Across it , is it the one with dark wood ? I will look it up again . My GC finally today told me that the garage hinges that I mentioned to him would work . The only thing is that the door that I chose won't work with the curved mullions that are in the Houzz picture in my other thread . The frame would be too thin to attach the mullions to. He suggested that i add a row of beads at the inside of the frame , so it gives some thickness . He will show me a sample tomorrow . I hope this works . My marble will be here on Fiday , but won't be able to see if before Tuesdayy or Wednesday . I have to go tomorrow o chose my cabinets hardware and paint color . I want to go with a light slate blue colour , like the one I have in my glass tile but lighter.

• sofla
    10 years ago

Show us your glass tiles for the paint selection. I have so many samples of the light blue/gray tones. I would paint on poster board and tape it up. What was on the poster board in the garage, looked nothing like the color in the actual space with the lighting and sun rays. Every color I brought into my bath turned very dark. When you find "the one" you know it.

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This the glass tile that I used . The next posting is the paint color. I don't know how to post 2 pictures together either.

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The color is a little different that shows in the picture. The green is a sea foam green and the blue is a slate blue. The paint I am choosing is topsail by sherwin Williams .

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The paint I chose , topsail, is a kind of blue/ green rather than blue/ grey . i chose this one instead of the slate blue , because as you said the blue/ grey color looks darker . Did you check mountain air by sherwin Williams . I have it up on my bath wall ( I check the paint where my vanity is going to be ) . Tomorrow I will post a picture with the color for you . I chose to go with the topsail because its brighter than the mountain air and it has from the two colors in my glass tile.
    I believe that at Sherwin Williams they can lighten the color for you by adding white to it . I think I did that when I was remodeling my kitchen .

• benlinus
    10 years ago

Thank you for showing your installation. It is very beautiful! I wet the edges a little closer to see Halo qrout, still not quite dry bet. Please post again after being dry, I would like to see it. "Bright White" and "Snow White" brand ITE "

• sofla
    10 years ago

Looks really nice. Topsail is perfect. The tiles show more green/gray than blue on my screen. I like the white marble pieces mixed in.

• motherof3inct
    10 years ago

Love the glass tiles. Are they Glazzio brand, Jewel series? I was very close to using the taupe version of those tiles. It will look lovely with your marble and paint choice.

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is my bathroom now with the paint . I love the color, it's bright and airy and has as the painter said its an aquatic color . He liked it too over the blueish color . Benilus, I don't have the first sample of Snow White , the tile man threw it with his garbage . The only difference between the two colors is that the bright white is more sparkling . I think this why it has this hue in the pictures . Motherof3inct , I don't know the brand of the glass tile , I ordered it through a tile store . The sample board didn't have a brand on it . The box that it came in has made in china written on it . The retail price is $ 28.80 for the sheet . Sofla , the painter painted over my samples today , sorry I wanted to show you the other color. It looks really nice too check it out if you haven't yet . I also feel that the color when put on the whole wall seems lighter than when you paint your samples .

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think this picture shows the glass tile color better .

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Very Pretty! I can hardly wait to see it all come together!
    Love those 'beachy' colours!

• enduring
    10 years ago

Really looking forward to your reveal! It is coming together very nicely!

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you raehelen and enduring for your kind comments . I can't wait myself until this is all done . Today my marble should have arrived at the marble wearhouse . I won't be able to see it before Tuesday or Wednesday . I am crossing my fingers that it will look like the slabs that I saw before . This will be the last thing that I will have to choose , finally !! who would think that this selection process is so tedious , for me it's like labor. I am glad that it will be over in a couple of days . I think I am too much of a perfectionist , I have to learn to let go .

• enduring
    10 years ago

You are so right about the letting go. I have to take breaks from all of this because I can get a little obsessed. When this happens I loose all perspective. A change of scenery does wonders for me.

• miruca
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Can't wait to see the reveal :). I love the glass tile

• chrissyb2411
    10 years ago

Could I ask what the glass tile is / where it is from? My bath renovation is a bit more low key, but I want beach colored tile around the tub/ shower surround, those colors look nice!

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got this glass tile from a store called Design Surface in Cleveland , Ohio . As I said before the retail is 28.80 for the 12"x12" sheet plus freight . I didn't find it in any other store . You can find these colors at other stores like lowes or Home Depot , but not with the combination of marble pieces and crystal like glass . If you like it, i can get you their phone number and you can buy it over the phone and they can ship it to you . Do you know how many sheets you need ? . I was going to return 3 sheets that I won't use .

• chrissyb2411
    10 years ago

Thanks. I'm not sure how many sheets we will need yet, but likely more than 3 :)

• motherof3inct
    10 years ago

chrissyb2411 - I believe they are Glazzio (formerly Mirage Glass Tiles) brand Jewel Series tiles in Moonstone Glitter. I planned to use the Sandstone color in my reno, but went with something else. I was able to find the tile in many local tile shops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glazzio - Jewel Series

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is almost the same as mine , except that mine has white marble in it .

• sofla
    10 years ago

looking forward to the reveal!

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Everything is on hold now Sofla because of marble issues . After I have been waiting for my slabs to come from Italy for more than a month , they finally came 10 days ago . They looked different from the ones I liked ,that were still marked as " sold " at the store for a month and half . When the owner of the store saw that I didn't like the new ones , he checked onto the other sold ones to find out that there were not even a deposit paid on them , so he told me I could have them . I was happy to get them and furious that I waited all this time for nothing .
    Finally he quoted me the price for the whole job , which was the most I had planned to pay for the marble ( 50% more than my original budget ) .
    Unfortunately this is not the end of the story .
    After I paid my deposit I found out that. my so unorganized contractor gave them wrong information about my tub , that it was a rectangular one not oval . So he had to go back and correct that , only to come back to me a day later with a $600.00 more on the job , $ 250.00 fees for using a wet saw for the oval part in the tub and 3feet more in material ( i dont know where did they come from ? ) .
    At this point I was so frustrated from that place and my contractor, so I got rid of one of them . I wish I could have gotten rid of both of them , but I had to bite my tongue with the contractor until he finishes the job . I hope Tomorrow I can finalize the marble with another place which I think ( according to what they told me ) can finish it in a couple of weeks .
    Wish me luck. I'll keep you posted.

• sofla
    10 years ago

I understand what you are going through. We had a huge delay in our bath due to marble issues. Hang in there.