Houzz Logo Print
winesnob_gw

Finally starting to look like a shower

winesnob
11 years ago

Comments (12)

• kamkar2006
    11 years ago

This looks really nice! What did you use and what size is the tile?

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

I thought you were using statutary (maybe that's what it is, but it's less veiny than normal)?

• winesnob
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is statutary....The shower floor is Herringbone. The border is Mosaic Thassos. The lot I chose was not so veiny, the slab I selected for tub base and vanity will be more veined, I didn't want it really busy. I find things I love about it and things in a perfect world of marble I would change, but it is what it is....

• winesnob
    Original Author
    11 years ago

...will this ever be over....the floor

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

I think it looks nice. I just wasn't sure what you ended up going with. Some statutary ends up looking like calacatta. It's kind of a crap shoot. I have a slab of statuary on the hearth on my first floor fireplace (it's really old) and it's pure white with dark gray veining and spots, but most of the statuary I see at slab yards either looks like carrara or calacatta to me.

I wish I had waited for the herringbone for my floor, too, but I just didn't have the time.

Your's looks honed, too, which I think is dynamite in the shower, and you cannot go wrong with the classic running bond/brick pattern.

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

Just to give you a really good recommendation. The marble yard by my house stressed that for calacatta and statuary (which are very strong and white marbles) he only recommends using Sensa, which is the sealer made by Cosentino for Silestone. It's pretty incredible. Water beads right up on my calacatta and I don't have streaks in the shower. It also lasts for 15 years or so and is porous, which is the most important part. It's expensive (I paid $225 for a small bottle, which would be enough for your shower and vanity and maybe your floor (it covers about 200 square feet). I think you can also buy it at one place online for cheaper than I paid, but I was more comfortable buying it from my local place.)

• winesnob
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Kevin, I have been stressing a bit about the final sealant. I was told they would use something like impregnator 501 not sure, but I have been trying to find the right product.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Oh wow--can't wait to see it completed--looks gorgeous now, in its unfinished state!

FWIW, we used STT's SB sealer on the White Thassos mosaic/border tile and trim pieces in one bathroom, and the niche liner pieces and shelves in both. Two plus years and counting and it still looks like new.

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

Hope you are getting starphire glass doors to show off that gorgeous marble.

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

Pharaoh, I hope you're not indirectly rubbing in my screwed-up starphire order. I've just started to make peace with the decision to accept the mistakenly sent regular glass...

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

And I made a mistake; it's Senguard by Cosentino. Supposedly you can only buy it at the store online, but a couple of the marble places by me use it and they only are sold a couple of bottles per month. There's usually a waiting list here at least.

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

oops, sorry kevin. In fact I was trying to help the OP. I feel that white marble such as yours and this OP's needs starphire. Because this is an issue that has happened many times before on this forum, I wrote the friendly warning.

However, others are correct in saying that only you will notice the regular glass. But the bad thing about loving design is that one notices all mistakes and issues everyday while others dont :)