Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile found two layers down

Posted by hags00 (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 16:31

Gutted the two baths and kitchen this weekend of the 1979 built ranch I closed on last Monday.

Found the tiles below on the master bath floor under a layer of linoleum. I have demo'd a lot of house and never seen tile like this so I thought some other GW'ers might enjoy them.

Sorry for the picture quality, forgot to take my good camera over there.

From marguerite during

From marguerite during

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile found two layers down

...and your question is...?

o

It would be great to clean it up and restore it!

o

No question at all! Just sharing some of the more interesting things you find peeling back the layers! Tile on the main bathroom floor wasn't half as interesting but definitely not a shape found today.

o

I haven't seen those shapes in a midcentury tile.

It would be nice to preserve some of them in some way.

o

That looks like Korean Porcelain Mosaics. back in the mid- 80's it was as common as glass tile is now.

o

Cool! I've done wallpaper archeology, but never flooring.
You now have higher ceilings.

o

Thanks Bill! I knew someone would have seen it before. I really like it but I do not like that amount of grout on my bathroom floor. I haven't made any effort to clean it up but I think the grout was put down approximately that color. That is the same color as the 4X4 wall tiles in the 60" shower.

o

Grout color can always be changed with colorant, if that's the problem

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here