Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Markings on Tiles

Posted by kaylie15 (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 16:24

Before cutting the porcelain tiles, the contractors marked where to cut. Needless to say, the bathroom is complete, but some of the tiles still have these black marks on them. Does anyone know how to remove them without hurting the tiles?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Markings on Tiles

I used a little BKF or ZUD (I forget which) on a sponge. Might have been ZUD because I'll use it on metal marks on my dishes.

o

I would have the tiler come back and remove the marks.

o

Is it wax mark or a sharpie ?

o

Thanks for the responses. Catmom, what is BKF and ZUD? Chefwong, it feels like wax.

o

Any decent scrubber will work. Even a kitchen sponge.
It's nonstaining-etching.....

o

Barkeeper's Friend and ZUD are both powdered cleansers (there are liquid versions as well, now). It's good on SS (stainless steel) but can tarnish SS's sometimes lookalike, brushed nickel so don't use it on that.

Pencil marks should come off with any decent scrubber, as chefwong says.

We had some stray metal marks on our tile from the metal levels the tile guys used (our guys were almost borderline fanatical about making things level, with no lippage). The marks weren't scratches, just some grey streaks on the surface--for ex., you'll see similar marks on a plate after cutting something with a knife, or in the bottom of a white or light colored coffee mug over time, from stirring with a spoon.

o

Great! Thanks to both of you for your help! I have Barkeepers Friend, but first I'll see if it comes off with a scrubber. If it doesn't, I'll use the BKF! LOL Thanks again!

o

bump

o

Why? Didn't barkeeper's friend work? It should. I've had marks from moving that I thought were cracked tiles because nothing would get rid of the line, until Bill V said to try BKF and it took them right out.

o

Unfortunately, it didn't work. Someone even suggested sandpaper, but I don't want to take that chance. I love BKF and use it on all stainless steel and even my new cast iron sink and tub. But it didn't work on the black marks on the tiles.

o

Try xylene.

It is the common solvent in permanent markers.

Be careful to NOT wipe the material into the grout line.

The solvent will carry it into the grout and make it nearly impossible to get out.

A piece of paper towel dampened with xylene and wipe AWAY form the grout.

o

I'd try Magic Eraser - those things work wonders

o

Hair Spray will take off Sharpies.

I would also be careful of the grout though.

o

I'm with Terricks-- have the tile guy come back and take care of it.

o

Yes, I agree with Bill and terriks. If you can't easily get it off, then make them take care of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here