Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cambreno

Photos carrera subway tile in bath/shower surround?

cambreno
14 years ago

Since reading here about an online store that sells carrera subway tile for $7.00/sf, I've been considering that instead of the standard white subway tile I had been considering for the master bath. I had also been planning to get a carrera top for the vanity. (We live in an 1875 Victorian house and, though I have considered other things, I'm starting to think subway tile just makes the most sense.)

If we go with the carrera in the bath/shower, is there any reason to worry about buying the vanity top and tiles from different places? I'm guessing they might look somewhat different.

Also, does anyone have any photos of bathrooms with a tub/shower with a carrera tile surround?

And, any comments/advice/opinions on this?

Thank you!

Comments (15)

• cambreno
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmm, why hasn't anyone posted any photos for me? Is this a bad idea? I was worried it might result in a "cold" feeling in the bathroom. Any thoughts? Should I just stick with basic subway tile, in my 1876 house?

Thanks.

• pepperidge_farm
    14 years ago

Just to help you bump this up- I have seen a few that have posted carrera subway in the shower/tub surround- I can't recall who, though. I thought it looked great, and I think it could certainly keep with the period.

You could worry about the marble matching or not- it likely won't be the same exactly, so that depends on your tolerance for that. I had stone from numerous sources, but it really really didn't bother me that they were not perfect matches- the cost for me was prohibitive, so the whole design would have to have changed.
    As long as they are not right up against each other...

Someone may remember who has recently done that tile...

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

cambreno-- It's not that it's a bad idea. Matter of fact, I'm thinking seriously about doing my own guest bath in carrara subway tile, using either blue pearl or black galaxy granites for accents (not sure which yet). The reason I haven't posted pics is because I don't have any! Nor do I remember anyone in here posting pics of a bathroom done in them. I've seen plenty of kitchen backsplashes with them, but nothing on this side of THS. :-) Don't be discouraged, though. For what it's worth, your post is what made up my mind as to what I wanted to do!

• conn123
    14 years ago

Not sure if this is mrs.limestone's bath or who it belongs to, but here are some photos of carrara subways. i saved it b/c i think it looks very pretty --and appropriate for a Victorian, I would think. (our house is 1866, so we're also trying for vintage classic look.)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gibby
    14 years ago

Wow! That bathroom looks amazing.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

jeanninepc99 also has a beautiful marble bath. She posted in this forum about her tile problems, but her finished photos were linked in the Small Homes forum, in this thread: (Scroll down to see the link.)

Here is a link that might be useful: smallest home?

• cambreno
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for the photos and the encouragement. The links to the photos were just what I was looking for. (If anyone has more, keep them coming, please...) I'm going to the tile store in the next hour, so the timing is perfect.

Thank you again!

• sycamore27
    14 years ago

I have a bath with carrera subway tile and white subway tile. I am going to attempt to post both. The bathrooms aren't finished yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathrooms

• mary_smith
    14 years ago

I have just finished my Carrera marble project, I used 6x12" and 12x12" on the floor. I also used 1x2" Carrera Basketweave as a mosaic accent on the floor and on the shower wall. We bought 200SF and shipping for under $1,800. The tile was from Venato Carrera and the Basketweave from the same company so it matched Venato Carrera only $11.95 for the Basketweave and $7.00SF for the 6x12".

Here is a link that might be useful: Marble Quarry

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Mary-- how were they to deal with? Did you deal with them thru the net, or off line?

• pepperidge_farm
    14 years ago

This is the one I was thinking of that I couldn't remember whose it was... I really like it a lot, they did a great job. I think the look would go nicely in a Victorian!

Here is a link that might be useful: jeanninepc99 pics

• kdaren
    14 years ago

carrara looks great in the bathrooms.. check out Deko Tile befor you buy any tiles/mosaics at a local store.. they have real italian carrara, you cannot go worng with them..

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian White Carara at Deko Tile

• blondelle
    14 years ago

You can find several photos at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carerra Subway Tile

• Jeannine
    14 years ago

Hee hee! Most of the pictures you get when you search Flickr for pictures are mine. Here's a direct link to the photos albums I have related to decorating/remodels. There are a few that contain tile pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeannine's photos

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

this may help

Here is a link that might be useful: carrara subway