Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curlycue_gw

Carrara look porcelain...Daltile Florentine Carrara?

curlycue
10 years ago

Hi! We are working on a whole-home renovation (while living with family very far away from our new home--aaah!) and most of my my most valuable advice has come from reading the archives of GardenWeb--thank you to all the wonderful contributors!

I have read a lot of posts about carrara-look porcelain alternatives to actual marble. Seems that many products have been discontinued, out of stock, etc. The tile place I'm working with said the best option out there right now is the Daltile Florentine Carrara. We want a honed/matte finish and plan to do large format tiles (12x24) on the shower surround, 2x4 mosaic on the shower floor and 12x12 on the bathroom floor.

I've searched the forum and haven't found anything about this particular tile. I'd love to hear from others who have used this tile...and I'd love even more to see your installed photos!

For others that are interested, the 12x24 & 12x12 are backordered until June, but we're buying 24x24 and having them cut to size. The 2x4 mosaic is in stock & available--all in a honed/matte finish.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (96)

• Val Nagle
    5 years ago

You're welcome! We ended up using "Sherwin Williams "Window Pane," which is a bit green. I painted 1/2 of a poster board with "Window Pane" and the other half with Sherwin Williams "Topsail," which is more blue. I moved the poster board to different locations at different times of the day to helpdecide what color to use. I loved them both!

• Becky A
    5 years ago
    We wound up using Florentine Carrara tile, sw vast sky paint and azul platino granite. I think it turned out beautifully. Thanks for advice!
  • Val Nagle
    5 years ago

Becky A It's lovely!! Enjoy!

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

I agree, Becky A, your bathroom came out very nice! I like the color selection (as you will soon see when I post mine) and the way that your tiler did the shower. The partial tile at the top, below the bullnose, looks very planned and more like an accent there at the top than an accident of spacing. I almost went with a gray stone counter top myself, and seeing yours makes me a bit sad that I switched. Overall, your bathroom looks both practical and elegant - a hard balance to achieve!

• blondelle
    5 years ago
    The Emser Duomo is great looking and very well priced. Veining has more contrast. There are matching small herringbone and 2" x 2" mosaic tiles too.
  • jft1314
    5 years ago

Have you seen Daltile Attache calacatta porcelain, or was that discontinued

• Newfie St. John's
    5 years ago
    Becky A, beautiful bathroom! Did you use Matt or polished? It looks like it’s Matt, but want to double-check.

And a question to the other experts - If I read correctly, it was mentioned Daltile Florentine Carreras polished is not porcelain; however, matt is. What are the differences? I’m using these tiles for our master bath, and we were going to use polished. Now I’m wondering if I need to go with matt.

Thank you!
  • blondelle
    5 years ago
    This is the Duomo. Very well priced too! Has 2 matching mosaics.
    https://www.emser.com/products/duomo?variant=19299187075
  • badgergal
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Newfie, according to Daltile's sales data sheet, the 10x14 and 12x24 glossy tiles are for walls only. If you were planning on doing your both your bathroom floor and the shower walls in the Florentine tile you would have to use matte on the floor. The matte tile and the glossy tiles do not match as far as the whiteness of the tiles go. My daughter chose use the matte because she was doing the floor and tub walls and didn't want the mismatch of the whites. If you want to use the glossy on the wall you would need to find a suitable coordinating floor tile.

Also if it matters to you the glossy ceramic tiles are made in China while the matte porcelain tiles are made in the USA.

Data sheet for Daltile Florentine

Additional infoFlorentine tile

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Blondelle, I notice on the Duomo page that the 12 x 24 size that they have 10 "faces" versus only 5 for the other sizes. I am going to assume that "faces" means variations in the pattern of veining. That is a great number of variations and will help it look less manufactured, and more like it could be real marble with infinite variety. I find this important to me, as my eye just automatically looks for matches in tiles when I am in a room. This pattern-recognition thing I have is very irritating, and I don't know how many others suffer through it. This issue is more important with a tile like this Duomo, which is approximating Calacata marble, with its strong veining. Those patterns can jump right out at you. This looks like a very nice tile.

• Newfie St. John's
    5 years ago
    Badgergal, thank you so much. Our builder is using the glossy for floors as well . . . That’s very disconcerting. Your daughter’s matte tiles - do they look like marble? Do you know how smooth the matte surface is? I liked glossy because I don’t like bumpy surfaces. Oh, well. I appreciate your help - I do prefer USA made tiles.
  • badgergal
    5 years ago

Newfie, there are several pictures of my daughter's bathroom posted near the top of this thread. The matte surface is perfectly smooth. No bumps or texture at all. My daughter liked the tile because the veining was not super busy like some of the others she looked at. The tile has at least 6 different patterns and if you turn them upside down then you have at least 12 patterns. My daughter's tiler laid the tile out before putting them on the walls so that he could get the patterns to flow from one tile to the next rather than have it look choppy.

Here is picture that I have on hand of a close up of the tiles (the close is not accurate in this pic)

Here is one more picture I have of the floor tile

Look for my post above in this thread to see more pictures.

Another poster this past week asked about this same tile and she too noted that there is a difference in color between the glossy and matte versions. I would not install the glossy tiles on the floor, no matter what your builder says. Daltile says they are for walls only.

• Newfie St. John's
    5 years ago
    Badgergal, thank you so much. Yes, I did review your previously posted pictures. Very nice bathroom! It’s beautiful. The last picture you posted is what our builder has on their online tool, VEO Design Studio. Thank you for your helpful post. And thank goodness for your info. We almost put wall tiles on the floor!
  • badgergal
    5 years ago

Newfie, are you saying that a picture of my daughters bathroom is on the Veo Design Studio. Interesting if it is because they had nothing to do with her bathroom. Never heard of them. Hope they're not passing it off as their work.

• sushraya
    5 years ago

There definitely is a slight difference in color between the matte finish and the glossy finish tiles. We used the matte finish tiles on the floor and the glossy ones in the shower. Turned out great.

• Newfie St. John's
    5 years ago
    Badgergal,
    No, they weren’t showing it as their work. They had your daughter’s bathroom picture as an example of the tile.
  • Newfie St. John's
    5 years ago
    Sushraya,
    Can you post a few pictures of your bathroom? I looked at Matt and polished tiles at our builder’s design center, and I just cannot see these tiles together. They were so different. And btw, the Matt seemed to have some green in the marbling. Thank you! I am struggling as to what to do . . .
  • Gloria Broadus
    5 years ago

Yes please Sushraya! I'm struggling also. yesterday a designer suggested i use one of these as a floor with the polished Daltile Cararra. The back board is wall tile but comes in floor tile and the colors would be pretty much the same with the exception of the bottom two which are decorative tiles. I tend to like the more pricey one on the bottom left.

• Newfie St. John's
    5 years ago
    Gloria, is that Daltile Unity polished tile? I was looking at Unity polished for the floor, too. I’m also considering Portfolio Dove Grey or Emser Realm Domain. I like the variations in Realm Domain for the floor. I like 12x24 tiles. Does anyone have experience with these two tiles and have any suggestions or feedback? I sure could use some advice. Thanks in advance! My master bath will be on the 3rd floor.
  • Gloria Broadus
    5 years ago

Newfle St.Johns it's Daltile Kimona Silk Morning Dove unpolished. You were close. I totally love it and that is going to be my floor tile with the Daltile Florentine Carrara in the shower and back wall. It looks like linen to me but the Daltile says it was inspired by woven silk fabric. My laptop shows it grey online but it's a mix and comes out as a greige in my bathroom. It is very classy looking. I may even consider doing my 2nd bathroom in the same tile but another color.

I looked the the Emser Realm Domain and it's very pretty but it is another marble and i was told never to mix the two. I had considered the Emser cosmopolitan earth but was talked out of it because it was so dark.

Take a look at the Kimona Silk and see it in person you might really like it.

• Gloria Broadus
    5 years ago

I took another look at the Emser Realm Domain and it is beautiful. It is a Ceramic but the specs show it is good for both floor and wall. The finish is glazed with a matte / satin finish. Are you considering this just for the floors or both floors and shower? it is really pretty.

• Newfie St. John's
    5 years ago
    I was going to use it for the bath floor and Daltile Florentine Carrera polished for shower wall and tub surround. I was also considering Daltile Portfolio in dove gray for the bathroom floor. Do you have pictures of your bathroom? Would love to see them. Thanks.
  • Jonathan King
    5 years ago

For those who have used Daltile Florentine Carrera, how prominent are the tan veins in yours? When we picked this tile out there was only the slightest hint of tan, but tonight we saw the tile that will actually be installed and there is a much more prominent tan.

• Gloria Broadus
    5 years ago

How beautiful! You must have the matte for we picked up our

Daltile Florentine Carrera polished tonight and although I have only seen a few of the tiles the tan is very slight. Our demolition starts tomorrow.

• badgergal
    5 years ago

My DD has that tile in her bathroom. There are pictures posted above in this thread. It hard to see in the previous pictures I posted but there is tan in some of the tiles but not all of them. She did have more without the tan than with. As you look at the individual tile it might look like it's very prominent but I think once they are all put up you will see that it is actually subtle. Here is closeup of one of her tiles. I actually like the tan in the tiles. (note: there are some shadows in the upper part of the pic, not discoloration on the tile

Maybe the box you opened just happens to randomly have more of the tiles with tan than without. I bet if you open more boxes you will find some boxes with few or none of those tan tiles.

Hope the tile works out for you.

• kriii
    5 years ago

Following this thread.

• Newfie St. John's
    5 years ago
    Jonathan King, I like the tan in your tiles! After reading everyone’s comments, I’ve decided to use the matt tiles myself. I was a bit concerned because the sample tile our designer showed us has blue and green undertone, and our vanity counter granite has beige in it. I think they look great. Would love to see the work in progress. Please post and share.
  • Newfie St. John's
    5 years ago
    Gloria B, thanks for the info on the tile I was going to use on the floor! I changed to an Emser porcelain tile for the floor. I did my research!
  • Newfie St. John's
    5 years ago
    Badgergal, thank you so much for your posts. You have been very helpful, and the pictures of your daughter’s bathroom are worth a thousand words! I’m using matt tiles for both the floor and wall. A question for you - the accent tiles your daughter used - do they have a bit of green or blue in them? How prominent were those colors? Thanks in advance.
  • Jonathan King
    5 years ago

Here are some pictures now that it has been installed.

• badgergal
    5 years ago

Newfie St. John’s, the accent tile my daughter used is Florida Tile Piatra Bliss. The color is called Iceland. There is not any blue or green in it. It does come in other color combinations as well as in linear strips instead of the small squares.

Florida Tile http://www.floridatile.com/products/bliss

Jonothan King, your bathroom looks fabulous! Love the way the veins flow from one tile to the next instead of having them just go any which way. Kudos to the installer.

Be sure to post more pics when your bathroom is completely finished

• Newfie St. John's
    5 years ago
    Thanks, Badgergal!

Jonathan, your bathroom looks great. Did you use matt for floor and elsewhere? Would love to see the finished bathroom . . .
  • Newfie St. John's
    5 years ago
    Gloria Broadus, have you finalized your selections? Would love to see the finished bathroom.
  • Jonathan King
    5 years ago

I will post pictures once it is finished! We should be getting lighting installed this week but not sure when the shower will be going in.

• K R
    5 years ago
    Wow everybody’s bathrooms look great! Seems like a perfect tile.
  • Jonathan King
    5 years ago

Newfie - We used gloss for the shower walls and matte for everything else.

• Jas7854 Smith
    4 years ago

What size tiles are on your floor?

• Ashley Robinson
    3 years ago

Jonathan, what color countertop did you go with? I saw you had gray cabinets and I have a very similar look going in my bath, but I have a dessert silver silestone and I’m afraid they will look off since they are a light gray.

• HU-833486043
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

is Florentine Carrara FL06 tile suggestable to use as a floor tile in kitchen, family room and foyer?

• dzermer
    3 years ago

Has anyone tried this tile on a bathroom counter yet? It appears there are trim pieces available. Would you think the gloss finish better than matte on a counter?

• Debbie Mcmanus
    3 years ago

I have this on my floor and in my shower. I wouldn’t use it on a countertop. I found a quartz called calacatta oro #7017 by atlas that looks great with the Florentine tiles.

• mimola
    2 years ago

Jonathan King, thanks so much for posting pics of your finished shower. So helpful to us, as we plan to use the same Florentine for shower walls with a gray 2x2 mosaic floor (Shades by Crossville in Mist.). Question: what size are your shower tiles? We are trying to decide between 12x24 and 10x14. Would love to hear pros/cons for each size from you or anyone else. Thanks!

• Kristin Tomei
    2 years ago

Can anyone tell me which color of grout they used with the matte and/or the polished? The matte seems to have a gray undertone more than the polished. We need to use Custom brand grout but would love to hear anyone’s opinions!

• Karen graham
    2 years ago

The designer at Daltile suggested Ash grout, that’s what we are going with.

• pbasnet
    2 years ago

Silverado grout. This is matte

• Karen graham
    2 years ago

Beautiful! What paint color did you use?

• pbasnet
    2 years ago

This is actually just the builder paint. SW chillax

• nantucketfog
    2 years ago

Our master bathroom and closet are in mid-reno. We placed 24x24 matte Daltile Florentine on the main bathroom floor with Mapei Flexcolor CQ grout in Warm Gray. We love the look. We’ll be setting 5-1/2” tile baseboards in the same pattern. The shower walls will be Florentine 10x14 tiles. The tiles are shiny in the photo because we had just washed the tiles after grouting.

• Corinne Miklas Hooper
    last year

I hope some of you are still following this thred, because i have a question about the edges of your tile. Particularily with the polished tile, the edges were bit up, pitted and chipped. We were told that this is just how the manufacturer makes the tile, so I am wondering if this is something that you all have found?

• mimola
    last year

Corinne, I think our contractor would have mentioned something like that and he did not. I'm not sure if pitted edges would be visible now that the shower is finished, but I won't be able to look until May when we return to live in that condo for the summer.

Sponsored
Jewel Marie Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia