Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrara look porcelain...Daltile Florentine Carrara?

Posted by curlycue (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 15:35

Hi! We are working on a whole-home renovation (while living with family very far away from our new home--aaah!) and most of my my most valuable advice has come from reading the archives of GardenWeb--thank you to all the wonderful contributors!

I have read a lot of posts about carrara-look porcelain alternatives to actual marble. Seems that many products have been discontinued, out of stock, etc. The tile place I'm working with said the best option out there right now is the Daltile Florentine Carrara. We want a honed/matte finish and plan to do large format tiles (12x24) on the shower surround, 2x4 mosaic on the shower floor and 12x12 on the bathroom floor.

I've searched the forum and haven't found anything about this particular tile. I'd love to hear from others who have used this tile...and I'd love even more to see your installed photos!

For others that are interested, the 12x24 & 12x12 are backordered until June, but we're buying 24x24 and having them cut to size. The 2x4 mosaic is in stock & available--all in a honed/matte finish.

Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrara look porcelain...Daltile Florentine Carrara?

Is that the new tile they just introduced? My rep said daltile just came out with a new marble look alike. Samples were available, but the tile was a couple of months out.

o

I wondered if this was their new tile, also. Is this the "replacement" for Navelli Star?

We used American Olean's Mirasol Bianco Carrara, which is a new tile our salesperson was able to get for us when Catarina Coliseum White wasn't available. You can see it installed in my thread, "We've stormed the castle [bathroom]."

Best of luck.

o

Thanks for the responses, I just saw them! My tile rep. told me that this is the only similar product Daltile is carrying now, so it must be the replacement for Navelli Star. I actually inquired about American Olean, but my tile place was not a vendor. Can't wait to see your bathroom, I'll take a look! I'm attaching a picture I took of the sample. It is supposed to arrive today, so hopefully we like it!

o

My rep ordered a honed sample of the Florentine because I wanted a carrara look alike. The white base is perfect, not too creamy or blue. But unfortunately there was beige as well as grey in the veining. I was hoping for grey only. But considering what I want doesn't seem to exist, I may have to learn to live with it.

o

My sample looks Exactly like the the one in your pic.

Still searching myself for the perfect porcelin - marble lookalike.

I've yet to find it...

o

Looks a lot like my Navelli Carrara Star tile, which I love. I've been very happy with the quality of the tile as well as the look. Was the tile rep able to say what changed between the Navelli and this new Florentine?

o

bump

o

Dal Tile does not make all their tiles....

I know we had used Fabrique in our laundry room and it turns out, alot of the local tire joints had the same tiles at similar/lower price.

The marble that you are discussing that is discontinued...I suppose they may just not be able to get it from the ~manuf~ anymore

o

Curlycue, can you come back and post what you find out in the end, please? It sounds like some others are waiting to learn what you find, and I know that I am, too. I have a project one or two years out that I am starting to prepare for. I will only need a few tiles, so I am haunting Craigslist already for porcelain Carrara look-alikes or even Carrara tiles or remnants. I will need only a few square feet.

I would be great if you would post pictures, too!

o

I am considering the Porcelonsa Carrara blanco; there are no beige streaks in it and it has a white background.

o

Is the veining as subtle as it looks in the photo? It looks a bit washed out. I was hoping the veining was a little more pronounced.

o

westleyandbuttercup...
do you have a picture of your Mirasol tile? I can't access the post you are referring to, and we are looking at using that tile in our bath.

Thanks!

o

Here is the link from westleyandbuttercup on their partial reveal:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirasol tile installation

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here