Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Bathroom Sinks-options

beekeeperswife
12 years ago

Hi everybody,

I am NOT renovating my bathroom. I am just painting it. But, I am considering replacing my cultured marble countertop that has two sinks that are part of the counter with a slab of marble.

If I did this, what type of sink is typically found in a master bath? I know what options there are for kitchens, but what is going on in the "bath world"? Ceramic? White Kohler something or other?

Not looking for expensive. Again, this is not a renovation project.

Thanks for your input!

Comments (6)

• davidro1
    12 years ago

kitchen sinks always have a flat bottom, which allows anything put in the sink to stand up.
    bathroom sinks are usually distinct from that, by having a rounded bottom, which makes any speck of skin slide more readily into the drain.

OTher than that, anything goes. One can buy salad bowls, drill holes in them and install them. Cost $10. It's been done before; this is not unique, new or risky. Hope this helps.

A sink with an overflow hole needs a drain that has an overflow hole too.
    A sink with no overflow hole needs a drain that has no overflow hole.
    There are slight advantages and disadvantages to each.
    Hope this helps.

• User
    12 years ago

Bee, I think a rectangular sink or the one in the last picture I've posted would look fabulous in your bathroom. The style would sort of continue the knack you seem to have (and I love) which is creating spaces that are a little different and special. Lowe's has this one for less than a 100.00

I love the way the rectangular shape looks with the marble:

Here is a sample of a round vessel in a bathroom designed by Sarah Richardson

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i put the kohler demi-lav cast iron sinks in our master bath and love them!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

There are a ton of options in terms of sink styles; undermount, self-rimming, vessel, and more. While I love many of the options, my personal preference is for undermount sinks. I find them to be clean and classic and both showcase the countertop (especially marble) and maximize countertop surface. While I do like some of the unique shapes, I find circular to be most pleasing and classic and again able maximize countertop space.

For your unique home, you might consider a more interesting shape as lukkiirish suggests. Here is a unique shape from Kohler.

Similarly there are multiple material options including cast iron, stainless steel, glass, china, marble, and I'm sure many more. Unfortunately I have not done much research on materials and various benefits and drawbacks. Hopefully someone else can provide some useful information.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Check out the Kohler Caxton 2210. Perfect size and shape for bathrooms.

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

Depending on style of course, it seems undermount porcelean sinks are most popular, white, oval but again that depends on your style.

I put the Kohler Devonshire in one bath (matches nicely with the Kohler Memoirs tub. Toto simple oval undermount in my daughter's bath. 2 Porcer Marquee undermount ovals will go in my master. And I did an Oceana glass vessel sink (in black nickel) in my powder room. I'm surprised at how functional the vessel sink turned out to be. Zero splash.