Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I handle setting Crema Marfil?

Posted by jjaazzy (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 15:19

I have about 40 to 50 sq feet of 16" x 16" Crema Marfil Marble that I need to fill into areas where tile was not previously laid. I tried to do the research here and elsewhere on what product to use for setting the tile (thin-set) but, came out scratching my head. The Marble floor is laid very tight. Most of the areas will be under cabinets but there is a large 2' x 7' area that will be exposed. Can you tell me what notch to use and do you need to butter the back of the marble with this size tile? Do you think a novice tile layer can handle tight marble or should I get someone in to do it? We laid rec. 24 x 24 tiles with a 1/16th space and did pretty good but nervous about this project.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I handle setting Crema Marfil?

Let me ask you-- this is going to be an addition onto existing marble?

o

Yes, most of it won't show but when the floor was originally tiled they didn't yank the cabinets and now we are redoing the space and want to do it right and bring everything up to level. Thanks for your help Bill much appreciated.

o

If the stone will sit lower than existing stone with a standard 3/8 or 1/2" notch, instead of using a regular thinset, try using a non-sag medium bed mortar, like Laticrete's 4XLT. It's like 255 with a heavier grit sand in it. You can build it up some, and not worry about it slumping. Use a level and your fingertips to check each piece as you install it to make sure you're flush AND flat.

o

Thanks Bill, DH was going by HD and picked up a bag of Jamo floor mud. Do you think that is ok? He was out and we had not heard from you yet so he asked the guy at DH (scare me!) It can go back if it is wrong but I hope it is ok,
Tile is thinner then original tile so we will build up floor some. DH wants to build up floor a little bit with this stuff to fix an original construction mishap of miss aligned pipes that missed the interior wall framing... oops. Then come back with this stuff and set the tile in it. Flat and Level! Most of our project will never be seen again but want to do a perfect job here for practice for the small area that will be seen. Thanks again......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here