Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ikea_gw

placing vanity right next to shower w/frameless glass door

ikea_gw
10 years ago

We are trying to plan out the layout of the master bath. Right now we have a shower with 5.5 inch curb and a frameless glass door planned. Due to the limited amount of space, the vanity will have to go right up against the outside of the curb. Would this be a problem for both the remodeling phase and the care/use of the bathroom? I think I should be able to clean the outside of the glass (vanity is only 18 inches deep) but not sure where the hinges typically go on the glass doors.

Comments (15)

• treasuretheday
    10 years ago

Depending on the size of your shower and the way your shower heads are oriented, some water can escape... particularly under the door. Having the curb sloped inward is important to contain this. I'm not sure I fully understand the scenario you're describing. Is it possible to post a diagram?

• ikea_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the floor plan. We are getting a rainshower head and a handheld mounted on a bar for the master shower. Shower is 3 ft wide inside the curb.

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

Sorry if I'm posting this twice. Thought I'd submitted it.
    What about a pony wall between the vanity and the shower wall? Would still leave room for a 36 inch glass shower door? I even had some space to put a small shelf on my pony wall before the glass installed beginning from the top of the pony wall to about 18 or 20 inches begin (providing light in the shower so nothing lost there.)

This post was edited by elphaba on Tue, May 28, 13 at 16:11

• ikea_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

elphaba, thanks for your response. We are really trying to avoid a pony wall. We are doing a pretty modern sleek bathroom and feel that pony walls don't really mesh with the style very well.

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

If you are really doing sleek and modern, I STRONGLY recommend no shower door. We LOVE it! Looks like it would work in your bathroom except of course you need something between the vanity and the showerhead - hence the problem. Good luck!
    p.s. or do like we did, we had contractor build shower so we could install a door if we decided we wanted one later. But we wanted try it without a door just to see. We will never go back - so glad we gave it a chance.

This post was edited by elphaba on Tue, May 28, 13 at 16:25

• ikea_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

elphaba, your bath looks great!

• ikea_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

elphaba, your bath looks great!

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Where is the bottom of the glass next to the vanity going to be mounted? If your vanity has drawers, is there enough space on the left side for the drawers to open?

• ikea_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dekeoboe, the bottom of the glass will sit in the middle of a 5.5 inch wide curb for the shower. The vanity we are getting has only a door on that side and has enough clearance to swing open.

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

enduring - our shower is 5' X 5' which is wider than one planned here.

If they got the right kind of vanity, similar to Ikea's Godmorgon (which we used), it is floating, they could get beneath to clean there. If their countertop guy was able to cut the counter so there was no lip on the side where the glass is installed, seems like counter could be butted against glass and caulked above and below and along front to "seal" middle part.

But still a bit risky considering caulk needs to be resealed periodically since it isn't meant to last forever. Would kind of spoil a shower (if it was mine) if I had to look at "junk" along that glass wall though at least it wouldn't be obvious when walking in the door. Also, houses usually aren't exactly level, could be some movement between vanity and glass - might not be a good thing :(

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Since the glass is sitting in the middle of the curb and the vanity is butting up against the curb, you are going to have a space of about 2.5" between the glass and the side of the vanity. Stuff is going to get into that space and it is going to be difficult to clean. And how will your countertop work? Most countertop extend about 1/2" over the side of the vanity. Will yours extend to meet the glass? What will you do on the other side of the vanity?

• ikea_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The vanity has a porcelain counter that is fairly even with the rest of the cabinet. We can order a smaller vanity so it isn't right up against the outside of the curb if cleaning is the only issue. As far as looks go the side of the vanity has the same finish as the front of it so I assume looking at it from inside the shower isn't going to be a problem.

• ikea_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I looked for floating vanities too but can't find any that is the right look and size. Which is too bad because that would have been a great option.

This post was edited by ikea_gw on Wed, May 29, 13 at 13:33

• eliseharrison
    4 years ago

Hi there! how did the layout work for you. We are considering just butting our vanity against the glass door and sealing it on the top and bottom with a clear seal. Did you end up going with the little space in between to clean. How did it work out?!?