Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piscesgirl

Share your thoughts on large shower niche

piscesgirl
11 years ago

Planning our shower and would love to hear your thoughts on doing a large shower niche. Our plan currently is a white ceramic subway tile shower with calcatta marble mosaic accents (floor, niche and possibly accent wall).

We have seen some really nice pictures of accent walls that we liked, but then we saw a large niche being constructed at our local tile shop and it got us to thinking we could maybe incorporate both and do a large accent wall niche.

Thoughts? Any drawbacks to doing a large niche?

Large niche being constructed

Marble accent wall in subway tile shower

Thinking we would do a subway tile shower (horizontal tiles, not vertical like in picture above) with a ceramic rail border and then do a marble mosaic inside and on the floor as well.

Thoughts as to what style marble mosaic would look nice with the subway tile? Would herringbone look nice? I have seen some subway tile kitchen backsplashes with a herringbone marble mosiac above the stove and it looked really great. Also thinking about 1x1 tiles set on a diagonal. Haven't seen any pictures of it done, but it sounds nice. Does anyone have any pictures of this tile setting?

What should we use for the side walls and shelf...marble or ceramic? What would look best? I would prefer ceramic since that is easier to clean and I can get large ceramic tiles 6x8, however I believe the ceramic tiles have a bit of a curve to them so we would not only have lots of seams but they also would not lay as flat. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio