Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathtub reglazing - partial

Posted by s8thrd (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 15:03

Hi,

We have several rust spots around the drain area of our tub (within 2 inches of the drain).

I was wondering if it is possible to do a reglaze of just that area of the tub. Or, does a partial reglaze peel up or not work for some other reason? (True, it might not be a perfect match, but I was thinking of masking off a perfectly circular area so any difference wouldn't look so bad.)

I'm also wondering if I can/should do this myself. The reglazing companies around here, so far at least, are only interesting in doing the entire tub.

I will not get the entire tub reglazed. This big 1916 tub has a lustrous, glassy white finish which is nicer than newer tubs, which matches the tile, and is in perfect condition except for that one small area. To reglaze would be, in some ways, to downgrade.

And, the former owners of my previous house had had the tub reglazed, and after several years it suddenly all starting coming up, creating a huge mess and necessitating tub replacement. I've heard that, while this doesn't always happen, it happens a lot. (Because this can take many years to occur, recommendations do not necessarily guard against it.) At least if the partial reglaze developed problems, they would be confined to a tiny fraction of the tub area.

If anybody knows ANYTHING about this, or can steer me anywhere for help, I would greatly appreciate this!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathtub reglazing - partial

Live with it or replace the tub are your only options. Anything else will not work.

o
RE: Bathtub reglazing - partial

Is the problem that a spot reglaze comes up? I appreciate the response but some elaboration would be helpful.

Replacing the tub is not a good option. We'd end up replacing all the gorgeous old bathroom tile AND I'm told we'd have to tear up the concrete floor (which the drain line is embedded in, along with a steam pipe etc.) as well as rip open the ceiling from below to replace the plumbing. Huge, very expensive job potentially fraught with problems, and this is our only upstairs bathroom, for a family with small children.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here