Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mama2c

Pictures of 6x6 tile in tub/shower combo

mama2c
15 years ago

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone here has pictures of their tub/shower combo using 6x6 tiles. We're doing a modest remodel in my daughter's bath, and I chose 6x6 porcelain tile (Magica Emilia in Farnese Bianco) for the walls surrounding the tub/shower. I am trying to decide how to have the tile arranged. I am leaning toward a running bond (brick) pattern, so if anyone has a picture of that I would be especially grateful. It's difficult to find many example pictures of tub/shower combos on the web.

Comments (24)

• brugloverZ9
    15 years ago

mama...I just did a tub/shower combination using 12" tiles. The installer said that if they also came in 6", he would suggest having the 12" on the lower edge and the 6" diagnal above a strip. The tile I choose didn't come in a 6" so I could not do it. I thought it would be nice looking though if it did.

• brugloverZ9
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1436184}}

I thought this looked nice too!

• Brewbeer
    15 years ago

The link below has pichers of 8 by 8 tiles over a tub/shower combo near the bottom of the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

6 x 6 running bond is *exactly* what we're doing (shower/walls to chair rail height), but I won't have pics til July (knock on wood).

You're right -- I had a ridiculously tough time finding pics of that tile and pattern. I think the below is a 6 x 6 tile -- unfortunately, you have to look beyond the pink and the GRIME, ha!

Here is a link that might be useful: Found on the internets (warning: someone's very grimy bathroom!)

• mama2c
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG house vixen that one gave me a good laugh. I think I'll have to put it in my file though! ;-) I wonder why there aren't more examples out there?

If anyone has a non-grimy example, I'd love to see it!

Thanks too, Margie and beer, those examples look very nice.

• janie-k
    15 years ago

I've also been looking for pictures of 6 x 6 tiles, as I think we are putting these in the guest bath. Here is a link to a pottery barn kids bath, where you can see part of the tub/shower combo tiled with what I'm guessing is 6x6 tiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Kids Bath

• amy0406
    15 years ago

This one might be hard to see. But it's from a great website. No affiliation with these guys, but I really like the examples of their work.

I did a brick/running bond with 12" tiles and really like it!

Hope this helps,
    Amy

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mama2c
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. The tile started going up today and it looks great! I love the running bond pattern. Will post pics once it's grouted.

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Hi M2C --

Glad to hear your tile-in-progress looks great -- very reassuring to me!

We started demo yesterday but are a long way off from where you are, so I'd love to live vicariously; please do post photos when you can.

• mama2c
    Original Author
    15 years ago

House vixen -
    If it helps, I think the "grimy" pic you posted and the PB Kids pic that janie posted are 4x4 tiles. I can tell that now after seeing how mine looks with the 6x6. I think it looks good either way, so it's just a personal preference thing, or what size is available, but I just thought I would point that out. I'm guessing it will be grouted tomorrow, so I'll post pics soon.

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Just wanted to let you know you still had at least one curious person out there...are you loving it with the grout?

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

I'm still looking for images...Mr Vix wants to see them before we pull the trigger on 6x6 vs 4x4. I prefer the latter since we're using a 1x6 liner, but could live with 4x4.

Tried to compare a 6x6 paper to our toilet and tub spout and THINK the below examples are 6x6 -- anyone want to weigh in?

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Unfortunatley, I don't have any tubs done with them. Sorry about that!

• flseadog
    15 years ago

Our tile supplier designed a tub shower with 6x6 tile for a shower/tub combo that is not yet installed. It will not be a running bond but standard tile over tile (I don't know what this is called) with a decorative band of tiles running around the 3 sides between the height of 4'and 5' above the top of the tub. The line drawing looks great and the 6" tiles seem to make the standard tub/shower alcove look more expansive. Hope this helps.

• jynxed23
    15 years ago

I have 6x6 tiles in carrara marble in our Jack and Jill bathroom. DD and DS are asleep but I will take a pic tomorrow and post it for you. It isn't porcelain but you can see how the tiles lay out.

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies -- any/all assistance appreciated!

FWIW photos of any vertical installation are great; we're actually only doing a shower and wainscot in them.

• capt.dan
    15 years ago

How about a combination of 2x2, 6x6 and 12x12...
    http://www.thehulltruth.com/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=34802

Here is a link that might be useful: New shower

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Capt Dan, would love to see but get a big red warning instead of a pretty picture, alas!

[at this url:

"http://www.thehulltruth.com/images/restricted-picture.gif";]

Maybe you've got your privacy setting on?

• capt.dan
    15 years ago

I seem to be unable to post pictures on this site, any tips?

• igloochic
    15 years ago

my shower ceiling andfloor are 6x6 (not run in the same pattern, but i thought i'd share for scale)
    {{gwi:1418874}}

and DS's bath/shower is 6x6 clipped corners with 4x4 inset:

{{gwi:1394704}}

• mama2c
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Vix! I'm sorry I'm such a jerk - I never posted those pics. Right after those messages I started a new job and things have been absolutely crazy around here. This is the first time I've looked at the forums since then.

Did you install the tiles yet?

I can't take any pictures now because DH has the camera. I've been waiting to post pics because we still haven't put up the window treatment or the mirror that PB sent me with no mounting hardware and has since been on backorder (arrgh - finally got fed up and bought one from RH this AM). Anyway, will try to post pics soon!

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Hey, Mama2c -- no worries! New job trumps tile every time (new job PAYS for tile...). Congrats!

Would love to see pics if/when you get them. You're so cute with your "did you install yet" -- turns out finding a tiler at the last minute became one of our responsibilities and of course all the good tilers are at least 3 weeks out. At least we have walls, floor, and will-be-pulled-out-for-tiler toilet; very exciting after 3 months o' dust.

So: pics from me near the end of September if all goes well!

• mama2c
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, here you go. I swear the tiles do not look gold IRL, my camera sucks. Also the bathroom is a mess. But this should give you a point of reference - I tried to get some different angles...

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Hey now -- that looks great! It does help to see it installed, so thanks much for the pics.

I hope ours comes out as well as yours -- we don't have much space on either side of our shower's window wall so I hope it won't look (too!) stupid.

I mean, I love 4 x 4 running bond but just feel drawn to the 6 x 6 for our small space. Do you feel like your tile makes your room feel bigger?

ps Since when does one tipped shampoo bottle = a "mess," ha? I diagnose too much time on these forums, young lady.