Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a1an

Fashion versus Function - How many towel bars are installed

a1an
10 years ago

Fashion versus Function...

The last bathroom I did, I only had a towel bar by the sink ....

Functionally, for the general bathroom (kids, guests, etc) - which I'm redoing this spring, Functionally, it would have 3-5 bars. Facecloths, body cloths, u name it...

Just curious how you guys worked around the ~design~ of towel cloths for functionally purposes without having too many ~bars~

Comments (8)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Is there a location you could group some together?

I am having a problem with this thinking about the very small bathrooms in my new house. The only thing that I have come up with so far is to see if I can arrange them so it doesn't look like a line up of towels around the room.

I was thinking of doing one high and one low on a wall that is not a focal point when you walk in.

It also helps if you could create some kind of symmetry.

Lastly, in the older bathrooms I've had, there has always been at least one inside the tub/shower alcove. The towel needs to be removed when you shower, but at least it's a good place for the bath mat and wash cloths to dry.

Some people have towel bars in the individual bedrooms but I never cared for that much. I've been thinking about putting a small clothes dryer somewhere nearby so I can just tumble them dry every day

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I won't be doing any bars in my kids' bath. Only "hooks".

• motherof3inct
    10 years ago

We just renovated our hall bathroom that will be used by our 3 children. We installed 1 towel bar, a hook on the wall and another hook on the back of the bathroom door. The hooks we used are robe ones from Restoration Hardware. I think towels have a better chance staying hung with a more substantial hook.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i agree, hooks would be the easiest way to go, especially with kids... (they might be more apt to use them!)

we have a tall towel warmer and i love being able to hang multiple towels all in one spot... hanging various bars of different widths at different hts might work well and might even look interesting if you have a tall wall space for it...

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

I've been thinking about this myself, though bathroom renovations are years away for us. I think I've decided to have hooks/bars only for the bath towels and hand towels. Facecloths will be a one-time-use deal, with a bin for fresh ones and a bin for used ones (both concealed). It's so nice to have a fresh facecloth, and not having to worry about where to hang the in-use ones is a real bonus.

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

We have one towel bar on back of the door but we haven't used it yet. (This is also useful for hanging clothes out of the dryer which we do use it for).
    We like to use hooks and have two. There are only two of us at home. We bought towels at Ikea - quite nice and large that come with "loops" on the side. Seems like these are drying better than when we used a towel bar in our old bathroom. But I did try to provide space for each towel to "baloon out" or "fan out" between and below the hooks. Quicker than having to fold and loop through a bar. All around better for us.
    We have a small towel bar near the sink/vanity for the hand towel. And there are several grab bars in our shower which can be used for hanging a wash cloth.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

For our basement/guest bath, I have a long single towel bar beside vanity, then a long double bar beside shower, and 6 double robe/towel hooks down the short hallway in the BR that leads to the shower. Since we often have multiple guests at the same time, all those bars/hooks often get used. Plus I love having all of them to hang delicate hand washables!

In our Master Bath (in process right now), we will have a towel warmer (several bars), two double robe hooks above towel warmer and a long single towel bar across from vanity. I am planning a grab bar/towel bar for inside the shower too! We have an outdoor hot tub, and I'm always looking for places to hang the suits and robes we use for there, (separate from housecoats).

Haven't figured out yet what I'm going to replace double shower curtains rods in our current main bath, when I get rid of the alcove tub/shower and put in a drop in air bath!