Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower Floor to Wall Transition Question

Posted by jaidog (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 14:43

I'm using 12x24 tile on the wall and 2x2 mosaic for the floor of a shower. Wondering how the tile should be laid out at the floor/wall transition.

At the transition between the floor and wall, should A) floor tiles go under the wall tiles, or B) wall tiles go behind the floor tiles [or does it matter]?

I would think option A is better since the caulk line at the transition will be mostly on the wall, and the floor will be mostly tile. With option B, the caulk line will be mostly on the floor which will expose it to more direct water. Is this correct?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower Floor to Wall Transition Question

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm currently tiling my hall bath and am taking the approach you describe in option A. I'm using a 1" hex on the floor and figured that sliding the floor tile under the cove base tile would be better for my sanity than trying to cut all those hexes around the perimeter of the room. It will leave a much cleaner line than all those cut tiles (with my wet saw skills anyway).

o

Doesn't matter either way.

HOWEVER-- if you're using cove base, the floor tile should ABUTT the base, not slide under it. That completely defeats the purpose of "sanitary base", which is to eliminate the tight corner. As for cutting hex, that's no big deal with a decent wet saw.

Photobucket

o

Bill, I read many threads on the cove base issue on this site and others, and saw many examples done either way. If I hadn't used the cove base, I would have used 3x6 subway tile which would have had the same 90* transition issue. I'm a mere mortal, not a Tile Deity like you and mongo, so I decided to save myself a severed finger and take the easy way out. I have had enough trouble with flying tile chips just cutting subways in half, I can't imagine the carnage with the hexes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here