Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiled shower window: how do we trim it out?

Posted by melle_sacto (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 14:41

Hello! My DH has been slowly working on our master bathroom remodel for about a year now. He is practically finished with the shower, but the small window is stumping us. It was the only window in our small bathroom, so we chose to keep it, plus it faces south so is nice for my indoor plants.

Here is how he tiled around it:

Photobucket

What do can we do about the gap between the tiles and (what I think is) the window frame? In the old shower, there were some vinyl strips that the window installation guys put up between the gap and the old FRP shower walls. Do we need to find new vinyl strips or is there a better option?

Thanks so much!!!

Melanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiled shower window: how do we trim it out?

I used Corian in my bath window. Looks like painted wood, however it's impervious to water and will not rot.

o

Glenwood705 -- we like Corian, have it as counter in our kitchen and are considering it for when we replace the bathtub in the main bath.

How would I order strips of it for around the window? Can we just custom order it from a dealer?

o

We too have a window in the shower of our 1890's Victorian. At first I disliked it, and thought it was crazy to have a window in the bath... but now that I've gotten used to it, I LOVE it. Especially in the summer... like an outdoor shower.

What we (ok, husband) did was to frame out the window opening and line it up with the wedi board, so that when the tile is installed, it connects directly into the window itself.

Maybe you could look for a matching trim piece in your tile family. If you google images of tile quarter round, you might get some ideas of how you could use a thin piece of tile to trim out the gap. Or maybe another term is pencil trim? My husband needed a very thin piece to edge out a corner in another bath, and he trimmed down some of the curved-edge molding, and it worked perfectly.

Good luck! The details of renovating a bathroom are enough to drive you crazy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bath Renovation Photos

o

Thank you for the suggestion to use tile -- that's what my DH wanted to do, initially (I forgot about that). I don't think my DH could find anything that would work, but he was shopping directly at Home Depot or Lowes, and they don't have a huge selection.

I'll look online for tile quarter round/pencil trim.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here