Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shower floor tile abutting wood..caulk or grout?

Posted by Lotteryticket (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 14:32

I'm getting ready to put in the shower tile floor. The tile will extend beyond the shower and into the bathroom by about 14". I plan to grout the tile but should I put a bead of caulk where the tile meets the wood floor? I'm concerned that the expansion and contraction of the wood will cause any grout there to crack. I live in MA and the wood floors move a bit based on how dry/moist the air is. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

LT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shower floor tile abutting wood..caulk or grout?

Is there going to be a curb? Will it have a linear drain? How will you deal with water containment? Lastly, why would you extend a shower 14" into the room?

Silicone caulk...

o

It is curbless. No linear drane. It's a long shower and the shower head does not point towards the opening. It does meet code and the drain, though not linear is not centered on the shower its offset (due to plumbing constraints) and is closer to the back wall. I wanted to bring the tile out because I am paranoid about dripping showertakers so this gives you enough room to get out and finish drying. It was also an aesthetic decision just because I like the way it looks. Kind of like a rug.

I was thinking silicone caulk as well. Thanks for your help!

o

I too would think silicone caulk because as you state the floor will expand and contract. Its kind of like an expansion joint, yes?

o

Always caulk where

1. Two different materials meet, and

2. Where the same materials come together on different planes (as in a corner).

o

Btw that is extremely beautiful :)

o

Thanks everyone! So glad I found GW. This remodel is taking forever but it's getting done right.

@enduring - it took a lot of searching for basketweave with a blue-grey dot that didn't have to be custom. I ordered it on a Friday and it was in the store on the following Wednesday.

o

That is lovely tile, Lotteryticket.

o

If anyone is interested the tile is from Jerusalem Heights. I wish my phone took a better picture but I suspect the little lens is covered with my grubby fingerprints.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here