Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Hotel shower curtains - act as liners too

Bunny
9 years ago

I have a question about hotel shower curtains, the kind that act as liners too, and are presumably washable (see link to example of RH version).

Obviously you need the curtain inside the tub during a shower. But, when not in use, the curtain looks better outside the tub.

Do you just wait awhile until all the water has dripped off the inside of the curtain and then move it from within to without? Does it take long?

Here is a link that might be useful: RH Hotel Shower Curtain

Comments (22)

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

We would get out of the shower, close it, shake it vigorously, and that seemed to be enough.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Yes, until the microfiber surface has been compromised by too many washings, the excess water just kind of rolls off. They dry quickly even in humid FL.

I've never bothered with the RH ones, though. Target sells a nice one with a tone-on-tone woven stripe under the Fieldcrest label that seems more substantial than the RH version, if you don't care about the label.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ineffable and Writers, thanks for the feedback. I do like the idea of one curtain. I don't care about the label at all.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Did Target's Fieldcrest line change names? They don't show anything under that brand name on the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Target white shower curtains

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

It's pretty much the same as this one. Sorry, I should have specified that they sell it as a liner, but it's actually heavier than the RH ones I've seen:

EDIT I should mention that the ones I get in the store are a warmer white than the picture on the website, not so bluish.

Here is a link that might be useful: damask stripe liner

This post was edited by writersblock on Fri, May 16, 14 at 14:07

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

writersblock, that one looks like the sort of thing I want. No ruffles. Good price too.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I use a liner like that plus an outer fabric curtain. The fabric liner stays inside the tub until it has drip dried (a few hours). I used to use just the liner but I decided that it looked more utilitarian than I wanted. I really like being able to wash the liner frequently.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Vthat reminds me, my liner needs washing!

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I bought a Moen curved rod and a Moen straight rod. I want to play around with both, get a sense of height and how curtains behave. I decided an adjustable rod is no problem as the little ball-bearings slide right over the joint.

The straight rod is a tension rod and that makes it easy for me to figure out what the sweet spot is for a single curtain, both inside the tub during a shower, and outside, dry and at rest. The straight rod lets the curtain hang nicely outside the tub.

For those of you with a curved rod, how does the backward curve affect how the curtain hangs outside the tub? Does it pull it back a bit or mean that it can't be pushed all the way off to the side? When I'm not using the shower, I want the curtain out of the way, exposing the tub and surround. Not only did I just pay good money for all of that, but I think it's much prettier than a shower curtain.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I ended up with a hotel style - but it has two parts - an innie and outie - they are connected at the top and it works great. I picked it up at BBB

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A2, one unit but with two layers conjoined at the top?

• DreamingoftheUP
    9 years ago

For those of you with a curved rod, how does the backward curve affect how the curtain hangs outside the tub? Does it pull it back a bit or mean that it can't be pushed all the way off to the side?

I'm not sure what you mean. The curved rod which replaced my straight rod is mounted in the same spot as the straight rod. When the shower curtain is pushed all the way to the side, it hangs in the same way and spot as with the old rod.

I got a Watershed curtain from BB&B, only available online/mailorder. It works perfectly. After a shower, I close it in the tub and shake it gently to shed the larger water drops. After about 15 - 20 minutes, it's dry enough to open and hang out of the tub. I cannot ever see going back to a liner.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dreaming, thanks. I didn't explain it very well, but you did. :) A friend of mine has a curved rod, but it's installed so that the widest part of the arc is parallel with the tub and the rod ends are inset more into the alcove, essentially negating the benefit of the curve.

I studied some photos of curved rods on Houzz and finally understood: The ends are where a straight rod would be mounted and the curve gives you a space bonus. Plus the curtain slides off to the side very nicely. Now I just have to come to grips with drilling holes in my new tile. I don't know why that gives me such heartburn. :)

It's been over 15 years since I've had a shower curtain. I used to be enamored with the clear plastic ones. When we bought this house and saw there were clear glass doors, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Never thought I'd be excited about another shower curtain again.

I bought two at BB&B and even the $13 one looks great.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Ha, linelle, I didn't understand your question either. Funny that your friend installed it wrong. I have the Moen curved rod and mounted it where the old one was. I have always used a clear liner with a white fabric curtain because it lets more light in. I redid my guest bath a year ago and can't find a shower curtain I like, so I might do away with the liner and try the hotel shower curtains. I really wanted a design on my shower curtain, but I didn't paint in the popular blue green colors like SW Sea Salt, so it's been hard to find a curtain.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep, my friend installed hers wrong. She actually has less room than if she'd just installed a straight rod. BTW, the straight rod I have up right now looks fine and there's ample room in the tub, but I do think the curved rod is a better look (thanks, Houzz).

I like light coming through the fabric, so hotel shower curtains are right up my alley. I tend to default to white (towels, bath mats) so it's right in my wheelhouse. Unless I find a cat print (yes, I would do that), I'll probably stay with plain white.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

hmmm, cat shower curtains?

Here is a link that might be useful: take your pick :)

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

olychick, you had to do that. :)

I can just see it now:

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Linelle
    You don't have to drill holes... We have a curved rod that is a tension rod. We've been using it about a year now and it stays put just fine. Got it off of Amazon, but need to look up the name if you are interested.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kirkhall, yes! I'd love to know about a curved tension rod. I'm just not convinced I really want a curved rod, since my tub is wider than my old one and I never felt I needed more room with the old glass doors.

Although, I can understand how a straight tension rod is tightened, but how does one twist a curved rod? :O

• coco4444
    9 years ago

Do you have these in the states? I got mine at Walmart in Canada. They have single and double curved tension rods. Super easy to install (was looking for tension as didn't want to drill into acrylic tub surround). You pull it taut (need 2 people) then there are 2 little allen-head screws that you tighten. Works really well.

As for liners, hotel style, et al, I like my Hookless curtain from BB&B... liner snaps in/our for easy washing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smart Rod

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Co-Co, thank you. I did find something like that online. I think that's a great idea.

• sunfeather
    3 months ago

Any upate on this!