Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frameless Shower Enclosure worth the extra $$?

Posted by travelbug003 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 14:27

Help! I'm deciding between a regular framed shower enclosure ($1,913) vs. a frameless version ($4,125). This is for a steam shower with glass on 3 sides (one side on the tub) so it goes all the way to the top with a vent. I'm also concerned about water leakage. Frameless is beautiful but I'm shocked at the price difference. The shower is 4'x5'. Any input is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frameless Shower Enclosure worth the extra $$?

Well I don't know how much bearing this has on your specific setup, but we went for the u-channel method instead of frameless because of the price difference. I was afraid it might not be clean or contemporary enough (I had bad memories of my parents' ribbed aluminum framed shower with frosted flowers on the glass - "ick" to my modern vision). But I am incredibly pleased with the u-channel. It is crisp, clean, simple, secure, and sealed.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

I would get some more estimates that sounds awfully high

o

Thanks. Cloudbase, what is a U channel? Your picture looks like framed but a slimmer frame than the usual framed set up?? Thanks again.

o

U channel is exactly what it sounds like. Note that there are no moving parts on my enclosure so what your project requires may vary.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

We went frameless and it is beautiful. We're glad we did.

o

I second getting several more estimates. I had 4, two were around 3800...the other two were around 1800.

o

Our GC got 8 estimates, they ranged from almost 4k to around $1500, all for the same thickness glass, same hardware, etc.

o

From $1500 to $4000 all for the same frameless enclosures? My GC just got a lower estimate from the same company for something called butt glazed which has a frame on the ceiling and the bottom but not at the corners. This price is now $2,078....so somewhat frameless. It now sounds like a good idea to get more estimates. I shouldn't be afraid to bother my GC, right?

o

Have money to burn, try one of these:

http://kinetikhardware.com/en/?page=82

Not cheap, but sooo elegant:

Hope this helps!

o

Once you go frameless, you never look back..

o

Ours is completely frameless, I am not sure why it would cost you more to get one with a frame.
Photobucket

o

Call your GC, if he does a lot of bathroom remodels he should be able to refer you to a glass place that will do good work at a reasonable cost

o

We did frameless in a remodel last year and I think it was definitely worth the extra cost. We're doing another one in our new build. But, $4K seems really high. I'd get more estimates.

o

We did frameless in a remodel last year and I think it was definitely worth the extra cost. We're doing another one in our new build. But, $4K seems really high. I'd get more estimates.

o

Check with a local regular ol' glass place, if you haven't done so. In my area the most popular (very good price and very good work) company for frameless enclosures advertises as an auto glass shop. Their prices are far lower than anyplace with a fancy showroom that claims to specialize in remodeling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here