Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nursekt_gw

Damaged clawfoot tub, rusting, how to repair?

NurseKT
10 years ago

I have an antique cast iron claw foot tub that I purchased "refinished" about 4-5 years ago. I doubted it was a good refinishing job because it was so inexpensive. Recently I think I made a mistake which resulted in damage to that inadequate finish. I had sprayed some bleach cleaner on my shower curtain and let it sit, never rinsing. When I came back the next morning I found that the floor of the tub, where the water sort of pools when it doesn't drain properly, had become very discolored. I assume that the bleach cleaner I left overnight damaged the finish of the tub and now is revealing the rusty iron beneath.

To be honest, I am not in a place to pull the whole thing out, replace, or pay for a professional and awesome refinishing job.

What I AM looking for is some way to minimize the damage and get on with using the tub. Is there some way I can sand this area down and apply some type of sealant?

And secondly, is there a fairly simple way to prop up the tub so that it drains properly, preventing the water from pooling in the bottom?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths