Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Damaged clawfoot tub, rusting, how to repair?

Posted by NurseKT (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 14:23

I have an antique cast iron claw foot tub that I purchased "refinished" about 4-5 years ago. I doubted it was a good refinishing job because it was so inexpensive. Recently I think I made a mistake which resulted in damage to that inadequate finish. I had sprayed some bleach cleaner on my shower curtain and let it sit, never rinsing. When I came back the next morning I found that the floor of the tub, where the water sort of pools when it doesn't drain properly, had become very discolored. I assume that the bleach cleaner I left overnight damaged the finish of the tub and now is revealing the rusty iron beneath.

To be honest, I am not in a place to pull the whole thing out, replace, or pay for a professional and awesome refinishing job.

What I AM looking for is some way to minimize the damage and get on with using the tub. Is there some way I can sand this area down and apply some type of sealant?

And secondly, is there a fairly simple way to prop up the tub so that it drains properly, preventing the water from pooling in the bottom?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Damaged clawfoot tub, rusting, how to repair?

Not sure how you are going to fix the damaged finish, as it looks like the bleach product ate through the finish.

You could put shims under the rear legs to fix the drainage problem.

o
RE: Damaged clawfoot tub, rusting, how to repair?

I would try a red Scotch-Brite pad on a random orbital sander to start and go down to a 200 grit or lower if you had to, then back up again. You've got little to lose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here