Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nursekt_gw

Damaged clawfoot tub, rusting, how to repair?

NurseKT
9 years ago

I have an antique cast iron claw foot tub that I purchased "refinished" about 4-5 years ago. I doubted it was a good refinishing job because it was so inexpensive. Recently I think I made a mistake which resulted in damage to that inadequate finish. I had sprayed some bleach cleaner on my shower curtain and let it sit, never rinsing. When I came back the next morning I found that the floor of the tub, where the water sort of pools when it doesn't drain properly, had become very discolored. I assume that the bleach cleaner I left overnight damaged the finish of the tub and now is revealing the rusty iron beneath.

To be honest, I am not in a place to pull the whole thing out, replace, or pay for a professional and awesome refinishing job.

What I AM looking for is some way to minimize the damage and get on with using the tub. Is there some way I can sand this area down and apply some type of sealant?

And secondly, is there a fairly simple way to prop up the tub so that it drains properly, preventing the water from pooling in the bottom?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (2)