Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Color of available Carrara marble - very gray

Posted by dvarnell (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 14:06

Anyone else noticed how gray the available Carrara marble is these days? Had my heart set on Carrara for vanity top, shower bench and thresholds but the background of it seems so much grayer than nearly a year ago when I was first planning. Of course, now I'm tied to a color scheme... Any other whitish marble options - besides calacatta - it's both too expensive and too much veining for me. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Color of available Carrara marble - very gray

Thassos is typically very white with very little veining. I am not certain exactly what Danby looks like, but I think it's supposed to be quite pretty.

o

Real thassos is expensive, as is statuary (also likely too veiny for you). Have you tried bianca venetino or gioia venetino? Depending on where you are, you should really go to a place the specializes in marbles. There is one place by me that only carries marble, limestone, travertine, and onyx (and doesn't sell directly to the public), but it has the best selection and has slabs in 2cm and 3cm and matching tiles from the same lots (in 12x12, 18x18, 6x12, 6x6, hex and square mosaic, pencil, and moulding). It's pretty incredible, and I cannot imagine it's the only one of its kind. Just try to find a wholesaler that carries a lot of marble, and I'm sure you'll find another option.

Also keep in mind that if you're interested in honed versus polished, honing generally mutes the colors which can make the whites less vibrant (which reads grayer sometimes).

o

Try Mystry White - has some warmer tones on a white background like a Calcutta - but in the carrara price range. There are also some Calcuttas with very little veining - but still expensive. I saw one white Vermont marble that was nice and white - but expensive.

o

Thanks all. Found a few nice Carraras, but it took me going to about 5 different granite yards! It's out there, you just have to be willing to travel for it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here