Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Statuary Marble on floors and walls - grout

Posted by winesnob (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 14:06

My tile setter is doing an excellent job but I am sort of into every aspect of this design and project, my question what kind of grout, my GC does not want to use sand.....we have been told use a product called Grout Shield, it is the liquid used in the grout instead of water, suppose to prevent mold. The tile is of course set very close together.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Statuary Marble on floors and walls - grout

First, your GC is right. Any time you use a grout joint smaller than 1/8", you use an unsanded grout. The only exception to this is with Latictrete's Permacolor grout. The sand in it is so fine that it can be used in any size grout joint. As for the grout shield, to me it's a waste of money. With only one exception that I can think of off hand (Hydroment) every grout manufacturer makes their grouts with modifiers already in them, and to add another polymer to it is not only redundant and wasteful, but may also be detrimental to the performace of the grout, due to a possible reaction between the different polymers.

o

We used TEC XT grout for two of our bathrooms. It is supposed to be more stain and crack resistant than other cement-based grouts, and has anti-bacterial/anti-fungicides built in. We used both sanded and unsanded.

o

Also look into TEC Powergrout.. It is mold, crack, and stain resistant. It also has a very fine sand which will be ok for your joint size and will not scratch the marble.

o

thank you everyone on your comments..It is just such a final aspect of this project that the tile is the FINAL oh we are finally here that you want to get it all right. I trust my GC but good thing about GW, no one has a dog in this fight and you get candid comments.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here