Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zagyzebra_gw

Vessel sinks or no?

zagyzebra
11 years ago

I really like the look of vessel sinks, but whenever I've used them, I've felt like I had to be super careful or water would splash all over the outside of the sink. They seem impractical, especially compared to upright porcelain basins. I don't have room for a vanity, so it's between a vessel sink or a porcelain basin...unless there's another option I'm not considering.

For those of you who have, or used to have vessel sinks, what do you really think of them?

Comments (9)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I dislike them--the water doesn't go where you want it to go.
    That said, it is nice to gain the "countertop" under them... You can tuck your toothpaste under the sink on a small countertop space.

So, is it for everyday use (probably not)? In a necessarily small bathroom? (maybe)
    Or, will it be for occasional hand-washing use only (then okay).

• dianne47
    11 years ago

I've only used a vessel sink once, at a B & B a few years ago. I hated it, it was very hard to wash your face or brush teeth. Vessel sinks might be OK in a seldom-used powder room, otherwise find something more practical.

• TileTech
    11 years ago

They look very cool, IMHO. Here is a variation I did in a showroom.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• s8thrd
    11 years ago

There is at least one other option: the Ikea Lillangen (sp?) sink, if you're happy with a modern look. We were strongly considering a vessel sink for a small bath, were having a hard time finding a cabinet that fit (we were limited in depth) and that we liked (and could afford), and went with that instead. We've been surprised how many compliments we've received on it.

I really like the look of vessel sinks but they're all over the place now -- in hotel rooms and public bathrooms -- and I can't help but wonder if there is a risk that they've "peaked" and in a few years might take on that "dated trend" look.

One argument for a pedestal sink is that there is very little risk of it ever looking dated.

If you do get a vessel sink, make sure it has a overflow hole, or have an expert plumber who is used to them and can make other venting arrangements. A friend didn't, and it wouldn't drain!

• zagyzebra
    Original Author
    11 years ago

s8third - That is one cool sink you got from Ikea. You just never know what you'll find there. I have a friend who did her new kitchen cabinetry from Ikea, and her kitchen looks stunning (she is a good designer). But I'm afraid for my purposes it's a little boxy and too modern as my bathroom is in a turret.

I, too, feel vessel sinks are everywhere. It's just that I recently found a base that I really liked. (Oh well) And yes, I have a friend whose vessel sink doesn't drain, as well -- now I know why. I'll have to mention this to her.

Thanks everyone, for weighing in! Def helped me with my decision!

• s8thrd
    11 years ago

A turret! That changes everything! Don't you know that turret bathrooms are required by law to be whimsical? If you've found a base you really like -- the hardest thing -- may be you should go with a vessel. Just get one with an overflow, and that functions well as a sink. Good luck!

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I put a vessel sink in my bath remodel because, when searching for a sink, I fell in love with it - had to have it. It was a beautiful hand blown recycled glass piece of art. Then it cracked :-( It worked fine for my purposes in a master bath but I don't splash water onto my face (i use cloths) or have any shavers using it. Hand washing, cloth wetting and tooth brushing were easy enough, but the sides were only about 3". I think a deeper vessel would have been difficult to use. I had to search and search for a new sink (no more glass for me) that would fit under the wall mounted faucet. I finally found this one with low sides and I love it even more than the original. Neither of mine came with overflow, but the plumber vented from underneath and it drains perfectly. I think the sides are only 3.5" and there is no splashing at all. It is really beautiful in person.

• zagyzebra
    Original Author
    11 years ago

s8third..."Don't you know that turret bathrooms are required by law to be whimsical?"

Indeed!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I don't understand....if it's not in a vanity, will it be on a stand? And by porcelain basin, do you mean a pedestal sink?

Sounds like you need a real antique look...have you looked at hand painted sinks?
    {{gwi:1435565}}