Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2

Posted by hunzi (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 14 at 13:55

Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of a thread, it's on to part 2 of this DIY Adventure!

Here's part 1 - the Saga of the Dirt, and the Slightly Imperfect Powder Room!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg011820583002.html?150

Next up is the finishing of the Starting From Dirt Basement Bath!

More to follow! ;-)

Always ;-)
Hunzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure

The official name and a link for that fun thread on dirt, basements, and Mr. G.

Hope you survived the weekend with two graduations!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure

o

We interrupt this bathroom project for life in general!

Ok, I'm back from graduating 2 girls, putting them on planes back to China, plus taking a cruise to Bermuda to celebrate our 30th anniversary!

Now we resume our regularly scheduled programming!

Progress report - we're framing up the bathroom - and figuring out all the small details so the tile will look good and the paneling won't look funky. Choices of baseboard vs cove base, and how to transition around the tub side/wall edge (tub has a concave section - looks great, harder to tile with the bullnose as planned - grr!) I think we've found the right solution.

Next up, we'll be installing the Kerdi board and tiling the tub, plus I think he has the final plumbing changes mixed in this stage (we're adding a water softener!)

In small good news - we noticed the HWH was cranking out super hot water - 170 degrees - yikes! - changed out the thermostats (plus updated the drain cock and pressure relief valve) - reset the temp to 120ish, and the electric bill dropped $43! In this energy sucking house that's a major victory! (Energy bills top out around $7500/yr!!! - more energy improvements are on the horizon) Not sure if we would have been able to save a little more if we had actually swapped out the HWH, but when you have a 60+yr old HWH that looks like it might run for another 40+yrs without the bat of an eye, you really don't want to anger the plumbing Gods. ;-)

I'm just about at the point I have to actually buy tile! So far, I think it's going to be cheapo HD subways (hey, they've looked great on some of the projects I've seen here!) and I'm getting the hex plus squares from Nebraska Furniture Mart (yay for employee discounts!) One of my next projects is probably sitting down with actual graph paper to figure out the tile layout - that art deco detail is going to take a little thought.

Almost all the plumbing trim has arrived, just waiting for a call from Lowes for one last bit, then I can lay that all out and be sure it looks like what I want! Still need to dismantle the vintage sink valves so we can update those - personally, I'd just install the sink and see if the original valves are working, but DH wants to just change them out now, and skip having to re-do it if they're leaking.

Seriously love Hansgrohe shower heads - love the one we put in the 2nd floor bath clawfoot tub, and they even had them on the cruise ship! Ohh they had a fancy dancy shower panel with a shower head, 6 body sprays, and hand shower - nice! Can't wait to put them in this bathroom - I may even walk to the basement for showers lol!

So, progress has resumed - photos soon!

Always ;-)
Hunzi

o

Questions! (Hopefully Mongo hasn't given up on me yet!)

So we're saving actual tiling of the floor for last!

Got the SLC and RFH in, and it's level - only had one or two hairline crack develop in the SLC. Yay us!

So we've been framing up around the tub. We're using 1/2in Kerdi board.

We planning to use a Hansgrohe Ibox for the valve - I had purchased one of the Kerdi valve seals, (the one with a 4.5in diameter hole) but the Ibox is bigger than that - 4.75in (unless it stretches an awful lot!). Ibox also came with a seal that was intended to bond to backer board I think.

I have the smaller Kerdi seals for the pipe protrusions (tub spout & shower arm).

Here's a question:

1) what's the proper way to seal around an Ibox when using Kerdi board? I have Kerdi band and Kerdi Fix available too.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Hunzi

o

I think we've decided the best option is Kerdi Fix around the valve box ala a very large pipe protrusion.

Always ;-)
Hunzi

o

I know nothing about Kerdi Fix. On my iBox I used the circular "facing" piece and set it with thinset. Then covered it with Hydroban up to and onto the iBox for total coverage. I would think the Kerdi fix would work too.

o

So there's progress!

Almost all the plumbing and electrical is done and we're almost ready for drywall.

We sorted out our biggest challenge - the door to the hot water closet. It was an odd size opening and we offset the toilet rough (now set in concrete!) to accommodate a bifold door - but the odd size was causing headaches - so we've opted for a sliding panel - think barn door. It will actually slide over in front of the tub when open - but it won't open often.

The track for the door means no curved shower rod - I may go with the recessed track.

Of course the bummer is we offset the toilet to make room for the door and now we don't need it! And it may affect my tile design - because I think we'll notice the off-centeredness if there's a border. I'll play with the tile before final decisions on that.

Lighting - I'm struggling a little with this. We installed a light over the shower, have a fan/light combo midroom, and have a vintage single sconce over the mirror/sink. I put 3 100w equivalent 1600 lumens LED bulbs in, but when we put the shades on it still feels dim (it's enough light with the shades off).

I'm hoping once the surfaces get in, that there's enough reflection to balance the light. We popped the medicine cabinet in for a minute and it did help. The door will have a full size mirror (but no light directly in front of it), and the tile is white (subway on shower walls (with black trim), mostly white hex on the floor with black accents, 2 walls will be semi-gloss white (the other two walls will most likely be coral), and the ceiling will be flat white - so I'm hoping it's enough. It has to be, because I can't find brighter bulbs and there's no place for another fixture!

I thought I took pictures but I guess I haven't yet - nothing on the phone! Soon!

Always ;-)
Hunzi

o

• Posted by hunzi upper Elbonia (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 1:05

At some point in time, I swear I'll post a progress photo!

Progress IS being made! But not without major sidebar distractions!

Progress - the plumbing is in! All rough is done. The kerdi boards are up. The "what do we do to make a door for the hot water closet?" issue has been decided.

Electrical is in. To MrHunzi's credit, he didn't even blink when I came back from staying in a very nice hotel in Dallas and declared I needed that makeup mirror. Happily the walls aren't up yet, so adding another power box wasn't a huge issue - ordered the mirror, waited until it got here this time before placing the box!! (See, we learned from the Slightly Imperfect Powder Room debacle!)

Next up is getting to finishes - we're buying drywall tomorrow, and we've hammered out the board and baton plan.

However - the sidebar distractions - we've decided that the kitchen and pantry (you know, the MrG's 1950's bathroom from hell) needed a facelift beyond desparately! Just a quick flooring update (no really those 5yr guarantee stick-on vinyl tiles just don't last longer than 20 years!! Shocking, I know!) , plus a rework of the 1950sBFH into a much less bathroom space and more of a pantry space. Plus I GET A DOOR FOR THE SLIGHTLY IMPERFECT POWDER ROOM! Yay!!!

This little sidebar job will be done in a week or two, then we'll be back to the grind on the Started From Dirt Basement Bathroom! It's almost time for tiles!! Yay!

Always ;-)
Hunzi

This post was edited by hunzi on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 21:27

o

You are busy! I really do look forward to seeing all of these improvements.

How is your dog that you had been bringing to ISU for treatment? I hope all is well.

You have kids going to college too, right? That will be busy too.

o

My favorite thread comes to life! Nice that you're making progress. And finally, so are we. Would love to see your pictures if you have a chance, but no worries since you sound super busy. Hope all is well.

o

Hi enduring and lotteryticket!!!

Let's see:

1) The dog is doing great!! We are officially finished with chemotherapy and now only need monthly follow ups at the local vet. We beat it! Eff off cancer.

2) Kids - one finishing his Masters, one junior in college, plus the 3 bonus kids - one is working on a fashion degree at Parsons, the younger two will be freshmen this year, one at UNL, one at Wooster in OH. LilMissHusker flies in next week, and we'll get her settled down at school in Lincoln, LilMissOhio is on her own but she'll be fine. Plus we have two new Chinese Sons on the way in as well, so we'll have 2 high school boys in the house, one a sophomore, and the other a junior (hence the frantic fix the kitchen work).

Plan was that the Basement Bathroom would be finished by the time the Chinese children began to arrive, but it's not going to happen. Adjusted timeline has the finish date before Thanksgiving hopefully, as I expect we'll have both freshman girls home for the holidays, plus the two boys, plus our CollegeJr girl will be home (MrMaster's no longer resides in the basement, so he's got his own place).

3) photos - as soon as I figure out where they go when I synch the phone with the network - I think I changed some setting, and I can't find them to save my life. Are they uploading to a cloud site (icloud or dropbox), or someplace in the vast array of local drives, or failing to move because my storage is maxing out and DH has been a tad too busy to upgrade the network - I seriously don't know! All I know is they no longer neatly load under dated files. Exasperating.

o

So we're not dead yet!!!

We took August to do a few small projects - the LONG overdue kitchen floor replacement, and prettied up the pantry - no more evidence of Mr.G's 1950s Bathroom From Hell. Oh and we now have a REAL DOOR on the Practically Perfect Powder Room! Yay!

Oh and we now have two new teenagers in the house, boys! 17 & almost 14. (Mama has had to do some serious house training with them about lids down on toilet seats.)

Photos are still giving me grief - I can easily post to Facebook etc. from the phone/icloud, but have a dickens of a time finding them when I want to post from the laptop - I just can't figure out where they synch.

I've given MrHunzi a month to rest his poor hands (carpel is but one of the gifts from his 20yrs of military service), and am now about to begin nudging him to get back into the basement until it's DONE! I want a working, finished bathroom (plus laundry and bonus room would be fabulous) by Thanksgiving when the college girls (1 Jr, 1 Soph, 2 Freshmen) return - we'll definitely see at least 2, possibly all four.

Always ;-)
Hunzi

o

Hi there Hunzi, glad you are making some progress and DH is resting up. While he's at it have him figure out your computer/cloud/photo connection, lol.

o

I have been reading along, found this thread for the second time recently. I can't wait for the photos, either! Loved the Powder Room and want to see the rest.

Really not liking a single exit from the basement, though. Can you do an emergency exit door that is simply a hatch in the center of a room upstairs and have one of those emergency ladders for second storey windows that can be deployed from the basement ceiling if someone needs to get out of the basement and the stairs are on fire? You know, like in the middle of the kitchen floor? That nice pine flooring is glued to a hatch that rests on a frame. From the basement side, there is a handle to turn to disengage the hatch and raise it up as you climb the little metal ladder. It can't be worse than living with Mr. G's "inventions" all these years.

o

For the record,

Progress is being made!

DH has been fiddling endlessly with his electrical/network/computer closet. He's close to being finished.

The floor tiles and the Nobel CIS are here, and I just have to work out the accent patterns. We're still debating if the tub/shower combo is all white subways or black accents too. I haven't quite figured out how to mix in the blacks and have it look good/come out even.

This is one of those times I wish I could just show a photo to a tile guy and say "make it so".

Nancy, there are two exits from the basement - one interior staircase up to the kitchen, and one exterior staircase that leads to the porch. As we have divided the basement into separate spaces (bathroom, laundry, tv/center zone, storage (potential exercise space) and boiler room) , not every space has two exits - only the central zone does, but we never intend this to be a permanent bedroom level (there will be times we overflow into the basement - holidays etc. DS slept in the center zone during his year of BoyInTheBasement.)

I can not add any egress windows - the basement is dug out and trayed inward nearly 3 feet from the foundations and the front half of the house has a wrap around porch to boot.

In other news - BoyNoLongerInTheBasement just received his Masters degree this weekend, and my dear sweet German Shepherd died 2 weeks ago. I'm still randomly bursting into tears.

Two years ago I joked the bathroom might take a year or two to be done - looks like I was right! We should be done in January or February. Two bathrooms, two years. Right on schedule! ;-)

Always ;-)
Hunzi

o

Oh and photos!!! Let's not forget the dirt from whence we came!

o

Best dog ever!

o

Oh is this your dog that you took to ISU? So sorry. Beautiful pup.

My DD has a German Shepard and he is a very good boy. He is just about a year and a few months now. BIG.

Got to go get ready for work, Ill be late (again :/

o

Sorry about the loss of your Dear Dog, Hunzi, but glad to hear there are indeed two exits from your basement. He is a handsome, regal fellow. I can imagine the hole he has left in your lives. Congratulations to your son. Was he the one studying Physics?

I am considering white tile with black accents for my bathroom. If you need more inspiration, there are dozens of white with black bathrooms at Houzz. I have been in the planning stage for about two years, so I know about long projects. When we do ours, it will be our only full bathroom, so we are hoping it will get done FAST. I recently bought a vanity - the third and last - for the remodel. Now I need to sell the previous two!

Looking forward to your pictures, but not the end of your project, as I enjoy reading your writing so much!

o

I'm slowly becoming used to not having my shadow. He was seldom more than a few feet away from me for 11 years. He left a 130lb hole in my heart for sure.

It is the same son - he now has a BS in Physics & Math, and a Masters in Math, and he's currently applying for Ph.D. programs for Physics.

Progress is being made - his electrical closet has been way time consuming - getting all his network stuff etc, situated. We had to relocate a few conduits, and clean up some sloppy work (hello Mr G!) and then he's framed up that and my ironing board cabinet. It's all slowly starting to feel like finished spaces.

Next up for us will probably be a smaller job - we need to pretty up the dining room and the front/upper halls. Those are mostly demo old plasters, new drywall, adding a pair of pocket doors. Messy, but nothing we haven't tackled before - once that's done, we can refinish the oak floors on the main level. With luck it will be a summer job (plus fall, winter, & spring - given our track record!)

After that, we'll tackle the final bathroom! That's the 2nd floor 1925 original bathroom (remember the first 40 years in this house's history, folks just got to head over to the outhouse. I'm sure that was a thrill in the Nebraska winters!) I'm keeping the tub & toilet, we're adding a shower, doing some rearranging, and putting in a vanity. (It had the wall hung sink now in the Slightly Imperfect Powder Room until we stole it for that project. Currently it has a cheap temporary pedestal). The huge part will in the 1925 Bath will be the floors - we plan to tear out to the joists so we can sister and level things up - you can roll a marble on them - right towards the center of the house! (the structural issue has been resolved, but the sloped floors are now a feature/bug). That one will be a big project - lots of tile in a 10x10 room! And while it's under construction, the only working full bathroom will be the StartingFromDirt bathroom 2 floors down in the basement!

Once that's finished, we'll tackle the final big project - the kitchen. I'll be someplace on these boards for decades to come! ;-)

Always ;-)
Hunzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here