Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiedawnpam_gw

Pebble tile, classic or trendy?

prairiedawnpam
12 years ago

We have a Neo-Victorian Cottage styled home and are making a new ensuite. We like country and craftsman. What are your thoughts on pebble tile as an accent?

...Pam

Comments (12)

• prairiedawnpam
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Inspiration pics

Our *possible* floor tile

...Pam

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Not even trendy ... faddish faux rustic.

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

I was in Bali last year. THEY know how to use pebble. Especially in the indoor/outdoor bathrooms. You see gorgeous murals made from different colored pebbles. They are masters of incorporating nature in a natural way ;)

{{gwi:1435466}}

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Classic in an Asian (like this Balinese) or garden bath, but trendy otherwise. And NOT right for the classic looks of your inspiration bath.

• melissastar
    12 years ago

ditto what sweeby says. A fad in most bathrooms.

• paige16
    12 years ago

If its your major bathroom that gets alot of use I would be concerned about what could collect there. It has a nice look but I prefer it vertically and also minimally in a residence. I just recently saw a small amount of it as an entrance to a gift store. It looked very appropriate there. I also feel it could be trendy and too much of it would certainly be hard on the feet.

• jillalamedat
    12 years ago

Trendy. I should know - we put it in our new master bath six years ago and I already feel like it's dated.

• johnfrwhipple
    12 years ago

Here is a curbless barrier free shower I helped out somewhat with here in Vancouver.

The pebbles feel great underfoot.

{{gwi:1435467}}

• njannrosen
    12 years ago

I own a tradtional home and redid my MB bath 5 years ago. We used stone tiles throughout and the pebbles on the shower floor. It gives you the security of a good grip underfoot, but is not overwhelming.

I think it depends on how much of it you use. I like the look of the second picture. I had a claw footed tub in my old bathroom which we took out because I'm kind of short and you really have to lift your leg over a high ledge. It was a great soaking tub though because it was so deep. I replaced it with a bubble tub, pretty much a standard size tub. For many older people or us vertically challenged tubs can be a problem.

• Lisa
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Interesting to see the comments from 10 years ago and still find pebble stones used today even in high end model homes. It seems like it has become a classic, depending on how you use it.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    2 years ago

Interesting comment, Lisa. "High end model homes". No.. .mostly tract home builders are continuing to promote this trend, which is way over played . The actual "high end " market... no way, except in very specific rustic planned designs with very careful specifications and prep and qualified professionals executing. The "pebble thing" is so long gone from a design sense, and it is a nightmare if not installed by a real pro. As long as the consumer buys it, the suppliers will promote it. But high end? No. Low end at best. Many materials and designs have their place but trends and marketing get in the way of good design, form and function.