Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

Anyone have a marble threshold?

kam76
10 years ago

We stayed at a hotel that had marble thresholds at the doors between the hallway and into the bathroom. I was wondering if anyone has done this in a modern house. I love the look! Are there any special installation considerations? Would a stone fabricator know how to make one or would I need to set up all the specs?

Comments (12)

• ikea_gw
    10 years ago

We have them in our house. Our tile contractor has those in stock in different types of marble. Not sure if others will also have it.

• lillo
    10 years ago

You can find these marble threshold at marble warehouses and tile stores, either stocked or will be special ordered . I am putting one in between my marble bathroom and bedroom , I got two of them different sizes from a store called the tile shop .they have them different sizes as width and thickness . They are ready made , your tile man needs to cut them for you lengthwise . They are installed like marble with mud and then unsanded grout . I'll show you a picture of mine when installed .

• sofla
    10 years ago

Yes they are being used and used all the time in new homes here in south fl. I have a travertine in my guest bath that was purchased at a tile store and cut in width, and in my recent master remodel used a white thasso that matches the floor tile. The contractor or tile guy can cut and install. Its common. They wear well and last forever.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

I have them in my modern, built in '62, (mid-century modern)
    Just the bathrooms. The rest of the flooring is flush with each other...cork entry, terrazzo kitchen and rest is very thin 2" hardwood. All original.
    It is a good use of material, the off-cuts. Woodworkers do the same with remnants. Beautiful and lovely materials but too small for other uses. It is a nice touch.

• VictoriaElizabeth
    10 years ago

Our stone yard had lots of them⦠saw them at every tile store, plus at hd or lowes.

I went a few places to find a color/pattern I loved. (because I was experiencing bath-detail madness...)

Here is a link that might be useful: Our DIY bathroom.

• TSG1104
    10 years ago

Our new bathroom has marble floors and my husband bought a marble threshold at HD or Lowe's (I can't remember which) and installed it between the bathroom and bedroom. It blends right in with the other marble that we purchased at a tile store. I'm sure your stone fabricator could do it for you easily.

• lillo
    10 years ago

I just bought one from lowes today in white marble for $ 10 . It matches perfectly my white calacata marble that I just installed in my bathroom .
    My tile man will just cut it to fit and install it there.

• karnf
    10 years ago

Just installed a travertine flooring in my friend's kitchen. I discouraged him from during so but he insisted thats what he wanted. I am thinking of marble thresholds. The thresholds would transition would between the travetine kitchen and laminate flooring in the dinning. How would this look for the marble thresholds tend to be white and green and the travertine is beige and tan?

• piscesgirl
    10 years ago

Like lillo, we purchased a the white marble theshold for Lowes. HD also has them. Many tile shops carry the common marble thresholds in stock (carrara, white thassos, and crema marfil) Your other option is to have a custom threshold cut from a marble slab.

One thing to consider is the support. All the old marble thresholds in our house were cracked, so we made sure that the floor was super strong - Double layer of plywood and DITRA underneath.

• Jen Pfifferling
    3 years ago

We purchased ours at HD in the past also. But they now only have the white now that I’m looking again. Can’t find the gray swirl!

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    3 years ago

I moved from Virginia to Texas many years ago. In Virginia, I ALWAYS used a marble threshold (saddle) in the bathroom entry. Having said that, I could get travertine, carrera, black, green red, brown marble to match almost anything....not so much here in Texas. A threshold adds a nice break between the two materials and, as it is slightly higher than the B/R tile, it also tends to be a "dam" that tends to contain any water leaks or spills from the B/R.

Totally blew my mind when, here in Texas, most contractors just said to "butt it up against the carpet and tile," just looks cheap to me......

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional