Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myladyfae

is a thermostatic shower important?

myladyfae
13 years ago

I'm wondering if the thermostatic feature is really all its been talked up? I mean, if i can control temperature and water pressure independently, do I need to be able to set the specific temperature of the water? especially when I have only the one bathroom!

Comments (18)

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

You need some sort of anti-scald protection in a shower, it's required by code. It is normally achieved by using either a pressure-balanced valve or a thermostatic valve.

Thermostatic valves are more accurate at holding a temp than PB valves. Gernerally +/- 1 degree for a TS versus +/- 3 degrees for a PB.

If you install some other sort of anti-scald protection, then no, you don't need it included in the valve as well. IF your local code allows it. But exclusions would normally have to be cleared through your building department ahead of time.

In my area, the local amended code for residential specifies either a PB or TS valve in the shower itself.

• myladyfae
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks mong!

the two I'm looking at were a TS and a PB valve...i just wasnt sure if a TS one was worth 100 dollars more than a PB. If the only thing is accuracy of the temp...I'm going to go with a no!

apreciate the answer :)

• sevrm
    13 years ago

Too bad I didn't read this before buying a valve which turned out to be a pb valve. The salesperson did not explain anything about it to me either. If there's only $100 difference, I'd go with the ts valve. You can make up the difference in saved water!

• dianne47
    13 years ago

For the past ten years we've lived in a production-built house that has Moen PB shower controls. I truly HATE them, due to the inability to control the volume of water coming out of the shower head. We're building a new home and are using Delta thermostatic shower controls. Over a few years you will save enough in water to pay for the extra the TS costs to install.

• wa8b
    13 years ago

The real advantage to a thermostatic valve (IMHO), especially if you shower, is that once you find the temperature setting you prefer, you can just leave the valve at that position. Then each time you turn on the water it will come out of the showerhead at the very same temperature.

I almost never alter the temperature setting in my shower. It's so convenient knowing that when I turn on the water, I can just step into the shower and the water will be just how I like it. I never have to fiddle with adjusting the mix of hot and cold water. The thermostatic valve always dispenses water at the same temperature.

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

LOVE our thermostatic valve.... honestly never thought it would be so wonderful. No more standing there fiddling with the taps to get the shower temp right.... best thing since sliced bread!!

• baxter01
    13 years ago

I'm not like most people and I don't like the Thermostatic valves. Firstly, both my husband and I like our showers at totally different temps so we can't just set the temp and leave it. Also, I like to slowly increase the temp of my water as I take a shower. So I start out a bit cool but end up very warm. The only benefit for me would be the ability to adjust the water pressure.

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Baxter, Doesn't your thermostatic change easliy? The center of our handle adjusts the temp and then the bottom swings to the right for the main shower and right for the hand shower. It's easy as can be to swivel the center a little as I shower and go from cool to hot without losing any water pressure. I do the same thing when I'm coming in hot from working outiside. Is yours somehow "fixed"?

• baxter01
    13 years ago

No, it is not fixed but everyone says one of the main benefits over Pressure Balanced is you never have to move it once you set the temp you like. I was just saying for us the only benefit is that the water pressure can be changed separately. So if you do change the temp alot and want to save the money the Pressure balanced is a good way to go.

• charlikin
    13 years ago

The advantage of a thermostatic valve for me is that I live in an apartment building where not only the water pressure changes constantly, but the actual temperature of the water coming out of the hot and cold pipes. I used to have to constantly fiddle with the water temperature over the course of my shower to keep it comfortable. Now I don't. :-)

• myladyfae
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hmm...so alot of different opinions! Now here's the funny thing (well at least to me!) The Delta Leland Monitor 17 PB valve I'm looking at *does* have separate controls for the water pressure and the temperature. That's why I couldn't really see the value of the Leland 17T Tempassure Thermostatic version...the only difference seemed to be how much precision there is what the temperature is. The specs on the Monitor PB seem to suggest they function very similarly to a TS really.

Like baxter, my husband and I take totally different temperatures in the shower...he likes to come out looking like a lobster!

• lee676
    13 years ago

Thermostatic is so worth it. Without a thermostatic valve, every shower begins with futzing with the knob(s) trying to get the temperature right, reaching in with your hand so you know the water won't be scalding hot or freezing cold. Even with a separate temperature control, with a pressure-balanced valve you still can't leave it in one place and expect the water to be the same temperature, because the cold water supply will be whatever the outside weather is that day. With thermostatic, you set it and forget it. If someone else uses the shower before you do, just set the control to the temp you like and you're good to go.

• remodelron
    13 years ago

Any recommendations other than the Hansgrohe model, which I is much too traditional - need a contemporary look. Any suggestions? Also, does anyone have a Moen (all the other fixtures will be Moen)? ExactTemp 3/4" looks good but at this point, but what do I know? Thanks.

• jacobse
    13 years ago

Remodelron, our style is very much contemporary, and we're getting a Hansgrohe -- they have a lot of clean, contemporary styles. Take a look at the Metris S, Talis S, Focus S, Axor Starck, Axor Terrano, Axor Citterio, or Axor Massaud among others.

-- Eric

• igloochic
    13 years ago

My husband and I like different temp showers, but with the thermo knob it's just a quick 1/4 turn one way or the other to the differrent settings we prefer. It's worth a million bucks more than another type of shower!!! I say this, locked in my beautiful victorian home with no thermostatic shower in any of the bathrooms (and there are a lot). If someone brushes their teeth in the morning you can hear me scream F**** (and I'm a lovely lady normally) because I like really hot showers and one degree more is a death scald LOL I will have thermo in every one of these bathrooms eventually. I'd NEVER Do anything else. Worth every penny!!!

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

igloochic, haven't seen you for a while. Did you get lost in one of your 14 bathrooms or 27 bedrooms? lol

• remodelron
    13 years ago

Thanks, Eric (Jacobse). Hansgrohe should be good, too. I like Moen because I know that they stand behind their products. I'm worried about what happens when it stops working for any reason. It will be installed in the only bathroom on the first floor that my mom, who is disabled, can access.