Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone used Lowe's for remodeling a bathroom?

Posted by LouiseKu (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 14 at 13:12

Hello,
Our contractor has pushed off our start date yet again, and I'm losing patience with him. I had a nice chat with a designer from Lowe's and it seems promising. Has anyone ever used them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone used Lowe's for remodeling a bathroom?

I'm afraid that might be a nightmare. Bathrooms can actually be more complex than a kitchen remodel. Lowes are not general contractors! I would only buy things in stock from them....I would not trust them to run a large ongoing project! Once the designer at Lowes sells the job....he's done and you then have to work with someone else.

A small business, kitchen and bath dealer would be your next best bet after a General Contractor. OR be your own GC.

You would need to hire:
-carpenter (cabinets, ventilation, installing cabinets/tops)
-plumber (buy your products from him....he will know what he needs)
-drywaller?
-electrician
-tile setter, if doing tile
-You'd probably need permits for electrical and plumbing.

o

They don't actually remodel anything. They sub it all out, individually, much more expensively than an actual private GC would do. No one is on board for scheduling all of those subs either.You're left holding the bag for that. It IS a nightmare. Especially if you find the all too common water damage. None of the people I deal with on a daily basis know jack about actually doing the proper waterproofing for a shower either. I can't tell you the number of times I've had to educate a customer in the aisles in order for them to ask the right questions. Questions that none of the subs that work for Lowes can answer.

o

A relative tried to use Lowe's and it was a disaster. As said above, they sub everything out and provide no over sight. Better to find a good GC or act as your own, if you have the time and patience.

o

My husband is a floor contractor (carpet and wood mostly). He works for independent flooring and design stores. Recently someone at Lowes contacted him about doing work for them and faxed us all the information, including what they pay the installers. My husband read the 11 page fax for about 5 minutes, thru it in the trash compactor and said "no wonder they can't hire decent contractors. You have to do more work for about 1/2 the pay". I'm spoiled because DH does 90% of our remodel work but if I could possibly help it, I wouldn't hire Lowes or Home Depot for anything!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here