Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to match vanity to baseboard to door?

Posted by sarah5151 (My Page) on
Sat, May 9, 09 at 12:56

Hello- this is my first post, I recently bought a house with all medium toned wood throughout the house, including baseboards. Our first project was to remodel the bathroom, which included installing an expresso vanity and framed mirror. Now we have a medium toned door and baseboards, along with the door frame. It doesn't look all that great to have the 2 different colors.

How do you transition from a small bathroom to the hallway? Should we paint half the door (on the inside)and half the door frame, leaving the rest? We aren't planning on transitioning the whole house to the expresso. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to match vanity to baseboard to door?

We had the older wood doors and fakey wood trim and to transition it, we replaced the door with a 6 panel, installed new trim & baseboards with primed pine and painted it all in white. You don't need to have the doors, trim & baseboard painted in the same expresso color as your vanity, it will actually add more pop if you don't. I would suggest you consider painting it with a neutral like white or if you don't want them to show as much, paint them in the same paint color as you paint your walls.

o
RE: How to match vanity to baseboard to door?

While there are differing ways to do it, here's what my painters usually do:

Let's say that the hinged door opens into the bathroom.

In that case the bathroom side of the door, as well as the edges of the door, get painted the bathroom color.

The hallway side of the door gets painted the hallway color.

As far as the door casing and jamb:

With the stop being on the hallway side of the closed door, the stop, the hallway jamb and hallway casing get painted the hallway color.

The bathroom side of the jamb and the bathroom casing get painted the bathroom color.

Where some differ is that some people prefer to have all three sides of the stop painted the same color. Some others prefer to paint the face and the hallway edge of the stop the hallway color, and the bathroom edge of the stop the bathroom color.

If the transition from one room to another was open, like a doorless archway, say going from a foyer to a dining room, then there is usually a "major" room on one side of the arch and a minor room on the other side of the arch.

In this case the foyer would be the "major" or more heavily trafficked side. So the jamb and the foyer casing would be painted the foyer trim color, and the casing in the dining room would be painted the dining room trim color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here