Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motherof3inct

Ebbe Square Drain

motherof3inct
10 years ago

Hi - I just saw a few favorable reviews of the Ebbe square drain that has a hair catcher integrated in the drain cover. I have long hair and currently have issues with my shower draining slowly because if clogs. I am hoping this gizmo will help.

Has anyone used this drain with positive reviews? I did a search on GW and found a few, but was hoping for more. My plumbing supply rep only recommended California brand.

I can purchase the ebbe drain from ebbesquaredrain dot com and was worried about its integrity.

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• coolbeansw
    10 years ago

We have that drain in my son's bathroom and his hair is over a foot long. No problems. It comes with a little key to let you pop up the grate and clean hair from the filter below. Looks good and works well

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I have one! I got it from a local, (but not all local) plumbing supply warehouse (for less than ebbe online.) I think they are also available on Amazon.

We like it!

The hair catcher does its job (I lose a lot of hair). It is easy to access too. And, cheap. I recommend buying extra hair catchers and replacing every now and then.

• motherof3inct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the replies. I feel much more confident with my purchase. I placed an order on the ebbe website because they were able to ship it to me priority mail. I should have it on time for my contractor Friday. i purchased the basic chrome grate. The fancier ones were very pretty and supposedly more substantial, but over my budget. Maybe I will upgrade in the future.

Thank you again.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Are you sure? Pull up really hard. When it is finished, it LOOKS like it is "grouted in" but it really isn't.
    And, yes, if he really did, he probably just needs to chisel a little grout out (or take a blade). It really looks grouted in when finished, though, so make sure he really did what you thought he did.

This post was edited by kirkhall on Wed, May 22, 13 at 14:20

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

without drain cover

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

one more, straight on.
    "looks grouted in"

• motherof3inct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kirkhall - As my daughter would say "You are the bomb!". Thank you for the pics. It really is stuck in there, but my GC said they could cut it out carefully. He is just worried that the grout seal may not be tight, but can just re-grout or seal with silicon. I'll keep you updated! Thank you!

Your shower floor looks great!

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Thanks! What does he mean the grout seal won't be right? Grout isn't a sealant. There should be waterproofing somewhere UNDER there, and weep holes that should remain in tact. They won't have to "cut" out too much.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Sometimes I put my cover back on it and it is too hard for me to get back off and I have to get my husband to remove it. Did you GC ask the plumber if he really did grout the cover in?

• Terri
    10 years ago

I'm sorry to highjack this, but kirkhall I love your tile! Do you have pictures of your shower posted?

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

No. I haven't "finished" my bathroom yet... So, I haven't done a reveal, though we are living in it. :) And, I have to figure out how to imbed pictures from picasaweb (it used to be easy before they integrated it with google+...) Here is my main shower wall though (sorry to "feed the hijack". I'll post a finished bath soon.)

• motherof3inct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My husband was able to remove it! No problem with hijacking - I am grateful for everyone's advice. Kirkhall - I love your accent tiles on the shower wall. Is that a Moen valve trim? My plumber had problems with mine sticking out too much. My bathrooms are almost done. Will soon post pics and will definitely include the Ebbe drain.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Yes, it is Moen. When my plumber installed the valve, he asked my tiler how thick our tiles were... He said that Moen valves are known for not having a lot of "tolerance". I was nervous, because this valve trim has some not so good reviews on Amazon/faucetdirect, etc, but my plumber asked the right question and it worked out!

I'm glad your DH was able to get the drain cover off. When he puts it back on, just don't tamp it in as far/hard, or just have him remove it for the first several times. :)

• RonHirseo
    10 years ago

Can you wash the hair catcher in the dishwasher?

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I have no idea, Ron, but I am not sure I would. You really just pull the hair off (toss it) and put the catcher back in. They are also very inexpensive, so you could replace annually, quarterly, semi-annually, or whatever.

• Travis Bennett
    6 years ago

This is an older post but how are people's Ebbe Drains holding up? The Ebbe Drain has a plastic flange and the sales people at the kitchen and bath showroom said they are "crap". I have already purchased them and paid for the heavy duty decorative cover which was not inexpensive and the salespeople recommended that I rip them out if possible. They have not been tiled in yet but have been installed. Hope to hear some more positive reviews, they have a lifetime warranty so I'm thinking they aren't "crap" and should be fine. Any opinions on the durability of the flange? Thank you!

• lizuws
    6 years ago

we had an Ebbe drain in a previous home for over five years, with daily use. Held up great and did its job. We never had any clogging or slow draining issues that cleaning/changing the catcher didn't fix. I'm planning to put in another in an upcoming remodel.

• Travis Bennett
    6 years ago

Thanks! I already purchased them so that makes me feel better.

• thatsmuchbetter
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Its not A Drain , rather A drain strainer. The ebbes work great with clamping drains as long as the weep holes are prepared properly and the drain strainer body is fully supported in mud, an easy to clean drain.