Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frameless shower door, 1/4" or 3/8"?

Posted by janesylvia (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 12:43

Which glass thickness should I choose for my frameless shower door, 1/4" or 3/8"? What's the major advantage of 3/8" door compared to the 1/4" one?

Thank you very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frameless shower door, 1/4" or 3/8"?

The only one I'm familiar with (wife's master bath) is 1/2". I'll probably use 3/8" for the two I'm about to do. Never heard of 1/4" being used.

o

3/8" is fine depending upon the size of the shower and the layout. I would not recommend using 1/4" period for a frameless shower.

o

Our guest bathroom has 3/8" shower glass. DH and I used that bathroom while our other two were being reno'd. Glass felt solid, not flimsy at all.

o

Mine are 3/8 solid,no problems.

o

Here in Canada, it's in mm not inches, so I had to get out the ruler to convert...LOL Our glass downstairs is 6mm or 1/4", but that is what they call semi-frameless, the walls are all framed, but the door itself is frameless.

For our MBR reno, the doors are 10mm or 3/8", and are completely frameless. I can't imagine going any thicker, these are thick and heavy!

o

Thank you all so much for sharing your experience, which is very helpful.

I'll go for the 3/8" glass. For complete frameless, it seems better to use the 3/8" one. Since it's heavy, is it better not to have a glass door too wide? How wide are your frameless shower doors? Do you have vertical gasket installed at the fixed panel or door? If not, is it a concern that water might splash out through the vertical gap?

Thank you very much.

o

My wife's door is about 28". The side of the fixed panel by the wall has clear silcone. There is a flexible plastic strip where the door meets the wall, and on the bottom of the door to the curb, but nothing between the door and the fixed panel. No significant amount of water gets out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here