Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathroom lighting over sink ratio to vanity size?

Posted by nancita (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 12:42

Hi all,
Thanks to all of the fantastic help I've received on this forum, I am coming down the home stretch with my two bathrooms.
I will have two vanities, one 48" and the other 30". What size light bar is appropriate for them? There will only be a light in the showers and the overhead sink one.
Thank you all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathroom lighting over sink ratio to vanity size?

I think in depends in part on how big you mirrors will be. I spent a lot of time trying to answer that question earlier this year. Couldn't find a solid answer other than it should be no longer than the vanity and should look right. Not much help.

We have a 48 inch vanity, 42 in mirror, and 30 inch light bar. If you want a pic from a different angle, just ask.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

To see how much light it makes, can't take it head on or it just washes the lens out

With the exhaust light on, plenty of light for us!

o

Just put one light on either side of the mirror.

o

I don't know the "right" answer to your question, but I can tell you that you need at least 180W of light above each mirror for enough illumination to apply makeup - and even that is a little low. My pet peeve is not enough light in a bathroom, hotels are notorious for this. I don't think one light on either side of a mirror is adequate, unless each bulb is 100W and you have 4 of them over a vanity (two mirrors, 4 lights).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here