Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motherof3inct

Frameless Shower Options - Yikes!

motherof3inct
10 years ago

Its been a month since we started our 2 bathroom renovation. We are down to painting our entire upstairs and installing a frameless shower door in the master. I budgeted $2000 for the shower door based on an estimate from a contractor and when I visited a shower door showroom.

I am very surprised with the actual cost of all the options. The shower is 63" wide straight across without any shower bench or angles. The basic cost is $1500, but doesn't include any options.

mitered door $180
glass shield $280
1/2" glass $350
starphire glass $350
non-standard handle $200

With all the options, my total is $2860. The configuration is just 2 glass panels with the door hinged directly to the shower wall. To have the door centered with 3 panels, I need to add another $300 which will bring my total to over $3000.

I guess I am just venting. I was pretty accurate with my budgeting, except for this. We're at the end of the reno and an extra $1000 is a lot to me. Ugh! And I really want/need those options...

Comments (17)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

How tall is the enclosure? If you want shoot me an email and I will see if I can help you out with your shower. We do not handle Ct but will see what I can do.

• mary9915
    10 years ago

I think it's time for more estimates. We just put in a frameless shower door. 60" wide x 76" high. Non-standard handle. Glass sealed.

The highest estimate was over $2000, but we paid $1360 (plus tax). We had a total of 4 estimates and they were all drastically different.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Those "upgrades" seemly redicously priced in my opinion. You also need to make certain what your getting in the "glass shield" as $280 is either the norm or very high for what brand and type they provide. The handle "upgrade" seems quite high as well. The others i cannot comment on as you do not give enough information. As was mentioned prior get more prices and try and stay with local glass shops as they will generally give you the best deal for your dollar.

• motherof3inct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the replies. I received an estimate from a local glass company. Prices are a bit better and they said I didnt need some of the options.

Starphire glass not necessary since I have gray tiles and no angles
    Nonstandard handle is $110
    1/2" fixed panels with 3/8" door is standard (flush on outside, but can tell inside shower)
    Recommended 74" height instead of 76.5" (is that too short?)

Brings the price down to $2160. Since its local I am hoping to negotiate.

• attofarad
    10 years ago

Mine is 83", with sloped bench. Door plus two fixed panels; the door hangs off of one of those, 1/2" panels, 3/8" door, two CRL solid brass Victorian towel bars on fixed panels, 8" back to back matching Victorian door handles. The quote is $1630 plus tax. The basic (std handles, no towel bars) would have been just under $1400. They thought that, since the door hangs off another glass panel, it would be better to keep it lighter (3/8").

My other shower is about the same as yours. It will be 61.5", door plus one fixed panel, standard hardware. I expect it to come in around $1k, but I should have a quote by end of next week.

Both are 72" tall, which is the same as in my wife's master bath, and seems to be enough, as it sits on a curb which is 6 or 8 inches high.

I live in San Jose, CA.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Height really depends on the location of the shower-head and most frame-less showers are between 72" and 76" so sounds completely reasonable at 74". Price sounds more reasonable only thing I would strongly suggest is the Showerguard protect-ant. And 1/2" panels with a 3/8" door is common as it will make the shower less likely to wobble as the door is mounted to a panel as opposed to the wall.

• motherof3inct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the replies. I am more comfortable with our glass shower configuration/options. We're going to go with the local glass co. They had installed our replacement windows a few years back and we were very happy with their work. I think the price is high, but I think its the area we live in.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Does not sound terrible on the price as on L.I. it may be a little less but not much.

• motherof3inct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks millworkman. I feel better about the purchase....last one for our renovation! The glass store said 2-2 1/2 weeks for install. Very excited.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Sounds about right as well. Please post pictures as they are always appreciated.

• motherof3inct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My shower is 63" long. The glass store recommended that they make the door 28" wide with two 17.5" fixed panels so it would be easier to turn the shower on. The door size they originally quoted was 26". Does that sound right? Just wondering since the door is only 3/8" thick and the panels are 1/2". Are they trying to cut costs?

• motherof3inct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My shower is 63" long. The glass store recommended that they make the door 28" wide with two 17.5" fixed panels so it would be easier to turn the shower on. The door size they originally quoted was 26". Does that sound right? Just wondering since the door is only 3/8" thick and the panels are 1/2". Are they trying to cut costs?

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Not at all, that sounds smart actually as in my opinion 26" is a little narrow.

• ChristaM
    10 years ago

Maybe take a look at this site the sells frameless glass enclosures and see if you can buy something "off the shelf" for less?

http://www.decorplanet.com/Shower_Enclosures_s/167.htm

• attofarad
    10 years ago

motherof3inct, if they are using the CR Lawrence hardware (and probably similar stuff from other vendors), the glass-to-glass hinges I looked at are limited to 80 pounds for 2 hinges, which 3/8" will meet and 1/2" will not for a 26" to 28" door. So if they used 1/2" for the door, they would not only charge more for the thicker glass, they would need to sell you another hinge, and you would need to pay for notches to be cut in the glass (before it is tempered, cannot be added later).

Edit to add:

I see that there are some CRL hinges that are rated for up to 110 pounds for the door using two hinges, at a cost of about $20 more each.

This post was edited by attofarad on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 19:47

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Yes and if they were to use all 1/2" they would need a 3rd hinge AND a header (making it NOT frameless) in order not wobble.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Attofarad, where are you getting your door?