Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdas_gw

Show me your inexpensive and neutral floors....please!

rdas
14 years ago

We are struggling to choose a master bathroom floor. We have already chosen our vanities - dark brown shaker cabinets - the countertops are still up in the air.

I really wanted to do a basket weave on the floor, but it is way too expensive! So, what now -- I want to stay in the light/neutral range -- any suggestions of what you've done that you LOVE and that is a neutral?

Comments (6)

• kgwlisa
    14 years ago

About as cheap as they come, ~$2/sf from home depot - daltile octagon and dot. I would have loved basketweave as well but could not fit it into the budget. I dressed it up by using parts of sheets with black dots as a border.

I don't have any great pics of the finished floor, here's the best I have:

and here's a pic while still under construction of the toilet area - t's grouted but the tiles around the edges weren't done yet.

not sure if black and white is neutral to you but you mentioned basketweave. :)

• hudsonleigh
    14 years ago

Well, it won't be installed for another few weeks (hopefully....we were supposed to start in February, lol!), but we are using a coffee stained beech vanity, similar to this

with Daltile Ridgeview Beige. About $1.80/sq ft; it also comes in cream and gold.

I've found quite a few of inexpensive but nice tiles through Daltile. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Daltile site

• brutuses
    14 years ago

My tiles are from HD and were only $3.78 a sq. ft. It is unglazed and has to have a finish put on to help keep it clean.

{{gwi:1397390}}

• sherylmole
    14 years ago

Wow those all look so fantastic- I guess what really gets me is that if you did not mention price, I would not think they were inexpensive.
    I am thoroughly confused though- I thought the octagon and dot was pricey. Maybe I had it mixed up in my mind with basketweave?
    would octagon and dot be an appropriate-generic but stylish updated fix for resale?
    I like it anyways, but wondering if the other daltile in beige which is also beautfiul would be more resale friendly? Any opinions?

• brutuses
    14 years ago

Personally, I have both so for me either would do in a house I would be looking to buy. My master bath has beige tile as does my kitchen, laundry and pantry.

Purchased my beige at Lowe's for $1.19 - $1.29 sq. ft. Here is a photo of the beige tile in the laundry room.

• hudsonleigh
    14 years ago

sherylmole, I think what you use may be better determined (to a degree, anyway) by the style of your home. Like the octogon &dot would look great in a victorian theme, but maybe not so perfect in a post-modern colonial. Of course, there are always exceptions to that, but if you're especially concerned about resale, I would at least take it into consideration. My house is a '60s ranch, and our taste runs more toward the modern, clean lines, so the larger tiles worked in this case. But in a previous home, all brick and kind of cottage-y feeling, we did a floor just like brutuses, and loved it.

kgwlisa, is that a pocket door I see next to your toilet? How's that working out for you? I ask because I requested one in the bathroom we're re-doing, and got all kinds of hemming and hawing from GC & DH. I stood my ground, but as demo starts next week, I still don't know how it's going to work out.