Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madtown_2006_gw

Why is caulk cracking already? (PICS)

madtown_2006_gw
14 years ago

Hi everyone. The tile installer caulked the inside corners and around the shower shelf before he left on Thursday. I went in there to clean up a little on Friday and noticed that it's already cracking. He used siliconized acrylic non-sanded caulk (I think the brand is ColorFast Industries). Did he use the wrong kind? Why is it cracking already? If he re-does it, should I make sure he takes out the cracked stuff first or can he just go over it again with another application?

Here are a couple pics. The first is the inside corner of the shower, the second is the horizontal joint between the tile and the corner shelf.

Thanks for any input!

Comments (12)

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Cheap caulk or not appied correctly are two big reasons.

Movement in new houses from wood shrinkage is another.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I'm thinking old caulking. Even if he just picked it up, that's not an assurance that it's not old. It's happened to me on occasion, too. I WOULD entertain the idea that it wasn't applied correctly, as well, except that those cracks are down the MIDDLE of the caulking, and not on one side or the other. That's the caulking itself, or as Brickeye suggested, it might be excessive movement.

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Brickeyee and Bill. If he redoes it should he clean out the cracked caulk or can he go over it again with a second application?

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Yup. I'd say old caulk.

When it's the caulk the cracks are usually in the caulk.

When it's excessive movement, caulk applied to thick, or a dirty installation, it's usually the caulk releasing from one of the walls.

"Siliconized acrylic" is fine, and I've not heard of any troubles with that brand.

The repair should include removing the old caulk before new caulk is installed.

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Forgot to ask...

Did he grout the corners then apply a thin veneer of caulk over the grout?

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mongoct - Thanks for the response. Yes, I believe he did say there is some grout in the corners. I don't know how much, but he said maybe it wasn't dry enough before he applied the caulk. But this was all over the phone, he has not looked at it in person yet. Is it bad to have grout in the corners?

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

The joints should be pretty much completely clear before caulking. However, I don't think that's the problem here. If it were, the caulking would be peeling off, rather than actually showing a crack.

• MariposaTraicionera
    14 years ago

Yes, they always say it has never happened before. Usually trying to insinuate that you're overly fussy.

Sorry that it happened to you, but we also had the same problem with our "expert" and after reading this, I can tell you that ours reapplied the caulk so I'm expecting it to show the same signs again. I guess we'll have to try and fix it ourselves Mongo?

• Gabrielle Root
    2 years ago

Oh my gawd. Same. Just finishing our bathroom remodel and it was a lot of tile. At Dal tile recommendation, I used sanded caulk, color matched. Within 1 day, no use, it cracked everywhere. Thinking the sanded was a bad choice, I spent 3 solid days scraping out the sanded caulk. Cleaned all surfaces, and used the non sanded. Again, cracked down the center EVERYWHERE. I could cry....I’m exhausted. Now I need to hire this part out. I just can’t any more. I’m going to contact Mfg and see what they say. Was so excited to use our new bathroom....

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Is there grout behind the caulk? If so remove all of the grout. If no grout describe every step they took in building your shower you may have too much movement.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

The caulk the tile and grout manufacturers are recommending are trying too much for color/texture match and not enough for performance. "Siliconized" is latex crap. 100% pure silicone comes in plenty of colors; it'll be close enough.