Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Chrome or Brushed Nickel????

numbersjunkie
12 years ago

I am torn. I thought I wanted brushed nickel, but when I looked at the Hansgrohe shower valves, the chrome looked so nice and clean. Plus I figured I would save some $$$ going the chrome route. But all the faucets I really like only come in brushed nickel (Kohler Mistos or Cavata from HD/Lowes). Whats with that??? Is brushed nickel a fad that will look dated at some point?

Any advice for me? BTW, this is our lake house master bath. its a rental now but we may retire there someday.

Comments (22)

• Stacey Collins
    12 years ago

I think chrome is much more timeless and classic. I also think good quality chrome looks wonderful. I have used all chrome fixtures in my 2 bathrooms and 1 kitchen reno in the last couple years. I have to say I regret buying brushed nickel door knobs, and I'm pretty sure that in a few years I will feel I need to replace those... that said, I have satin nickel pulls from Restoration Hardware on my cherry kitchen cabinets, and I DO really like those there. So I guess I can't dis brushed or satin nickel across the board.... but I still vote for good quality chrome bath faucets!

• miniscule
    12 years ago

I don't know if brushed nickel is a fad or not, but I agree that chrome is classic and will endure. We opted for chrome in our current master bath reno, and found that there is lots of choice. The price differential is also nice.

• monicakm_gw
    12 years ago

What I've discovered since choosing brushed/satin nickel for my master bath remodel is that not all brushed/satin nickel is the same. Mine are brighter than a lot I've seen and don't show water spots. Some look darker and seem to get darker over time. From what I've read from others, can be pretty bad about spots. Guess I was lucky :) My Jado faucets were pretty spendy. Maybe it's a you get what you pay for thing. I dunno. Here is mine. Good luck with your decision :)

• bh401
    12 years ago

We did chrome in master bath on current build. I originally was going to do SS or SN but loved the Delta Vero in the chrome. It was nice to save some bucks just because I liked the chrome better.

• amainah
    12 years ago

We did both - we have a tub/shower combo in our master bath, and we have a shower curtain so you can't see the tub faucets when the curtain is spread out. I used chrome in the shower to save some money, and brushed nickel for the sink faucets to hide the water spots. We used hansgrohe products for both, and have been very happy with them.

We are getting ready to remodel another bathroom, and I'll probably do the same set up again.

• abd1
    12 years ago

we're using chrome almost throughout. Our faucet will have brushed nickel handles but they're textured and the faucet has a lot of character so it should look fine on its own. The faucet is the Kohler Bol.

We picked chrome for much of the same reasons -- timeless, saves money -- but it also let us mix manufacturers and not worry about the finishes not matching. Chrome finishes are almost always the same, unlike satin nickel which can vary a lot between brands. So, we're able so mix Jado shower fixtures with a Danze rain shower head and towel bars, and even PB chrome light fixtures.

• sas95
    12 years ago

We mixed products in brushed nickel from a variety of manufacturers in our shower and it looks just fine. You can't tell the difference unless you are really looking for it. That said, we did brushed nickel in our master bathroom reno and chrome for our hall bath. If I were doing it all again, I'd go with chrome everywhere. The chrome looks great, and I'd probably opt for the money savings.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i really like the 'shine' of a polished finish...i went with polished nickel in our master bath because i wanted the warmth color wise of the nickel(our bathroom is done in warm beiges, grays, etc), but really like the shine of polished fixtures! they look gorgeous when wiped down!

i would have gone with polished chrome if i had a cooler color scheme in our bath.

i guess brushed fixtures don't show water spots as easily...our stainless faucet/appliances in the kitchen don't show water spots like polished chrome, nickel and brass do, but it is soooo simple to shine up any of the polished fixtures!!

• suska6184
    12 years ago

Another vote for chrome, it is beautiful when clean- but then really, does anything look attractive when it isn't clean? Seeing as how you will be looking at it daily, get what you like and don't be swayed by others' opinions.

A bit OT- monicakm, where did you find that cute little plug-in clock?

• fdemartino
    12 years ago

We have chrome in our 1/2 bath & brushed in our master bath. They both look great and are equally hard to keep clean. That being said, go for what your budget & tastes allow. It will look beautiful which ever you choose.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Chrome for me for all the fixtures in the new kitchen (2 sinks) and master bath. Classic and pretty.

• MayzieGal
    12 years ago

I seriously LOVE our new brushed nickel fixtures. A lot. So I just really think it's what YOU like.

As far as it being a fad, when we moved into our house 10 years ago, we replaced the old brass ceiling fans and lights with brushed nickel. Still in style a decade later.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! I pulled the trigger this morning and ordered my shower fixtures and shower doors in chrome. The cost savings will definitely help out since we've had a few unexpected expenses.

• paige16
    12 years ago

I was reading a similar post in the kitchen forum and stainless was mentioned along with these two finishes. Someone said brushed nickel is always plated which depressed me since thats what I just put in. Is stainless even an option for bathroom fixtures? I know I could find out but I was wondering if anyone has used that in a bathroom?

• timber.j
    12 years ago

I just ordered all our masterbath fixtures in chrome, too, after realizing that I would save about $700 compared to brushed nickel. Still haven't decided if the tub will be a soaker or an air jet, but the savings on the fixtures would almost make up the price difference.

• bh401
    12 years ago

paige-Delta offers some of their bath fixtures in SS. I'm not sure about anyone else. I haven't used them though. Chrome for me.

• brremodel
    10 years ago

We purchased Hansgrohe brushed nickel for our bathroom re-model. Very disappointed as the faucets show all water spots. Just read that Flitz cleaner works on this and will try it. Purchased Krauss brushed nickel for our 2nd bathroom remodel and any spots that do appear are simply wiped off with a cloth or sponge.

• lisadlu
    10 years ago

Interesting post! I just bought my faucets for my bathroom and went with brushed nickel (I also used these in my last house when replacing polished chrome faucets). I like brushed chrome but not polished chrome, but then again a brushed chrome looks a lot like brushed nickel. Good thing they make different finishes for all the different tastes.

• tafapent
    8 years ago

I recently found out this website www.besthandles.co.uk but i'm not sure if it's a scam or not?

• 2christene
    6 years ago

I have chrome fixtures in my 35+ year old bathroom. Still in perfect condition. I am in the planning stage of a bathroom remodel. I have brushed nickel hardware throughout my house, kitchen knobs, light fixtures, door knobs. So I was thinking of doing the same for the bathroom. Keeping everything matchy-matchy. However, the more I go to showrooms the more I see bathroom fixtures displayed in chrome.

Now, I'm trying to decide between brushed nickel and chrome finishes for my faucets and fixtures,

I like the shiny look of Chrome. But, notice brushed nickel hides fingerprints and water spots on my kitchen faucet. Something to consider. The
    problems with satin and brushed nickel however come in trying to match
    one “version” of satin nickel to another. Different manufacturers have
    different standards and processes for creating this finish and can make
    it difficult to create a uniformed look.

• MizLizzie
    6 years ago

This thread is a few years old, and I don't think the OP is here any longer. If you have questions, you might get better responses if you start a new one. Personally, I'm a fan of polished nickel. Love the shine and the warmth.