Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bathroom floor prep

Posted by Morton (My Page) on
Thu, May 30, 13 at 12:04

Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum, but I have come to it before, looking for answers. I have been installing tile for a long time, it's what I do for a living. Right now, I am in the middle of a job where I have torn out the old tile, and mud-bed, in a bathroom and discovered several "floor coverings" under what was there. The house was built in the 20's, I believe, and this bathroom was an after-thought. It appears to have been built partially on part of the porch, so there are porch pavers, a strip of bricks from a foundation wall, some pine boards and some vinyl or asbestos tiles that leave a tar-like substances behind when you pull them up. The floor is pretty out of whack in terms of level, as you might guess. I am looking for suggestions about the best way to approach leveling this thing out, and getting it ready for some really cool marble.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bathroom floor prep

Hire a professional?

o

Membrane underneath Wonder Board underneath self leveling compound?

Here is a link that might be useful: leveling links

o

Your better bet is to ensure the floor structure is structurally sound. It's okay if the floor is out of level and/or not flat. But it needs to be sound.

Then float the floor with mud. Floating will build the floor elevations up to both flat and level. The perfect substrate for some really cool marble.

Depending on the combination of interior or exterior or whatever the makeup is, as mentioned, a membrane may be needed. But the location and type of membrane can be dependent on the makeup of the space and how it relates to the thermal envelope of the house itself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here