Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottonpenny_gw

xpost: AO catarina grout size

cottonpenny
11 years ago

What size grout joint did you all use on AO catarina tile (or similar)?..

Flooring store says I can have 1/8" for an extra $265 for the master bath, otherwise they will do 3/16".

Is 1/16" less grout worth it?

Comments (8)

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Our tile guy doesn't charge extra for different grout widths (unless that was factored-in?). We chose 1/32" grout lines for the travertine tile in our FR/guest bedroom/entryway. Our tile guy laid out a few tiles showing 1/16" and 1/32" lines, and we (he, DH, and I) decided to go for it with the 1/32". We knew our tile guy has the skills to lay tile with that tight a grout line.

So, in our case, we preferred the look of the tighter grout lines (the difference in widths was noticeable). Only you would know if the price difference is worth it to you.

• VictoriaElizabeth
    11 years ago

I have a grout phobia... so it would matter to me.
    You could ask them to reconsider their fee. Sometimes all you have to do is ask.

I looked at the Caterina. I ended up with something similar, but polished.

Here is a link that might be useful: My tile.

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Victoria - what grout size did you end up using?

Any photos?

• a1an
    11 years ago

A tigher grout joint requires better tolerances on both tile and flat floor.

The upcharge which is small--- may be for his time to spend to level more to get a flush tighter grout joint.

• VictoriaElizabeth
    11 years ago

We used 1/16". I would have liked to go smaller, but my husband (who is also my tile guy,) was concerned that he could not meet my expectations for a "perfect" installation, with such a thin margin to work with.

I do understand what the fee is for. But it's been my experience that sometimes these things are negotiable.

Link to photos: My Tile

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

I do understand what the fee is for. But it's been my experience that sometimes these things are negotiable.

You're right. They are. Many times an installer won't come close to charging what it's worth for the extra time it takes him to work with a tile that isn't meant to have that tight a joint until someone starts telling him it's too much. At that point, he will.

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Victoria - lovely! your dh did a great job! wish we were so talented!

Bill - AO specifies a 1/8" grout line with this tile for flooring applications, so they are charging me extra to go with the manufacturer recommended grout line instead of bigger. So I didn't think it was unreasonable?

Here is a link that might be useful: Catarina tile

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

tile that isn't meant to have that tight a joint

My bad-- I forgot Catarina is rectified. You could actually go smaller than that.