Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1 by1 glass tile as a border on a bathroom floor?

Posted by cocokey (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 11:54

I am planning my guest bath reno and saw a picture on this website where a single row of 1 by 1 glass tile was used as a border around a white hex floor.in the bathroom. When I went to order the 2 square feet I needed the Daltile rep told me it couldn't be used on the floor. Other tile places have told me they do this all the time without problems. Anyone out there have any experience or opinions on this. The poster I am modeling my br floor after is Sandn from a few years back and I have an email out to her as well. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1 by1 glass tile as a border on a bathroom floor?

No idea why it couldn't be used. Only issue might be different thicknesses that you may need to allow for.

Remotely possible you might be able to scratch them, but unless you're wearing cleats in there, I doubt it.

You WILL want to use a white thinset, however.

o

Most glass tiles don't have the slip resistance properties suitable to be labeled as acceptable for floor. You won't have any slip issues using one row of 1x1" tiles.

You will have to be careful with the differences in thicknesses but it is very doable!

o

I have decorative glass tile squares on my bath floor and they are fine. Majority of floor is porcelain with the decorative dots at the corners.

Something like this only with the dots at every corner.

o

Would you mind posting a link to that particular picture so we can really get a full picture. I think a border would be fine! But I have never really walked on any glass tiles so cannot be sure.

o

Thanks so much for the all of the advice and positive feedback thus far. Here is the garden web link with a picture of sandn's beautiful master bathroom in her victorian home.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg011337514923.html
She also has a blog where she discusses the tile she is using and does say that the glass insert is slightly raised which I am willing to deal with.
Here is the blog URL
http://nothingapropos.blogspot.com/search/label/Bathroom?updated-max=2008-05-22T17:41:00-04:00&max-results=20&start=6&by-date=false
I just love what she did in this room!

Here is a link that might be useful: sandn master bathroom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here