Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stu2900

copper vs glass sinks-any pros or cons?

stu2900
15 years ago

We originally planned to use a copper sink in our remodel, but I've since discovered these Oceana glass sinks. Can anyone give me pros or cons on either of these?

Here is a link that might be useful: Oceana glass sinks

Comments (21)

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Forgot to give credit to monicakm for introducing me to Oceana sinks. They're gorgeous. By the way monickm--Can you see anything inside the vanity through the sinks? I just thought about that.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

You're quite welcome :)) I was the same way when I discovered them here from ideamom. I was all set to go with a white vessel sink till I saw hers and it was love a first sight :)
    The only thing I can see beneath the sink is one of the metal flex water lines. And the only reason *I* can see it is because I was looking for it. No one else has seen it and I had to point it out to my husband. After 5 months, I don't "see" it anymore. So for me, it's a non-issue. If you went with one of the darker colors, you'd see nothing. One of the added benefits of this sink is that when I open the cabinet doors beneath the sink, the bathroom light from above shines thru the sink and illuminates the contents below the sink :)Ideamom installed rope lighting around the underside rim of her Oceanan sink (she has the same color I do, Crystal Reflections). At night her sink "glows" softly. I plan on doing that someday. I can tell you, the sink is the biggest hit of the whole bathroom with everyone that sees it...even men. The exception being my brother...there's just no accounting for siblings! (lol) What color are you considering in the Oceana line? I'm guessing you saw the copper one? I had my local design center order samples of the three colors I was interested in (copper being one of them). It's beautiful. If you decide to purchase one of these sinks, ideamom is a rep and can get you a good deal shipped directly to your house. If you're interested, email me and I'll send you her email address.
    Monica

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

monicakm--did you get my email? I wasn't quite sure if it went through. I'm assuming the inside of the sink is smooth and the texture is on the outside. Is that correct? I hadn't thought of it until DD asked. By the way she thinks the sinks are "Flippin awesome!"

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

Yes I did get it and replied this morning before leaving town for the day. I've resent it. I'll check back later tonight to see if you got it. If you don't, I'll email ideamom to see if she minds if I post her email address on line.
    Monica

• cpccarolyn_2008
    15 years ago

Glad to hear the positive comments on the Oceana glass sinks.
    I am putting the sea green in my powder room in my new home.
    I have seen the sinks and they are beautiful.

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I got your email. Thanks so much! For some reason it was under the spam heading and I don't usually give that much notice. I found out tonight that this bathroom will definetly be underway in 6 weeks. I haven't even started taking down the old wallpaper yet. I need to get going and make decisions. You'd think after the two years of researching I'd already know what I want, but honestly until seeing these sinks, I really haven't been that excited. But boy I am now. If mine comes out half as good as some I've seen on this forum I'll be thrilled.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

sjt2900, forgot to mention...yes, they are smooth on the inside. Sooo easy to keep clean too. Are you doing a vessel sink or undermount? I agree with your DD...they ARE "flippin' awesome"!! (lol) I sure hope I can talk DH into putting one in his bathroom.
    cpccarolyn, what kind/color countertop are you using with the sea green sink? I've not seen that color in person but I bet it's beautiful!
    Monica

• macawmom
    15 years ago

Monika, If you don;t mind, I emailed you, too about contacting ideamom. I love your sink.

Beth S. NJ

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love the undermount sinks we did in our kitchen and another bathroom, so that's what we're doing in this bath. I'm going to to visit DD in Chicago next week and I'll get to see these sinks in person. I can't wait!

• flyinghigh
    15 years ago

Hello,

We actually have both copper sinks and a glass vessel sink in a powder room. The copper sinks are in the kitchen, prep area and in a bar. The glass vessel sink is a hand blown glass sink by a Seattle artist - Suzanne Guttman - and is set on a reclaimed old growth cedar countertop. Here is our bath:

I've seen the Oceana sinks - I believe on Sinks Gallery website - and thought they were nice. ...however, we wanted a "piece of art" and went with a little more expensive "artisan crafted" hand blown piece that was signed by the artist. ...just a personal choice....

The glass vessel we have is very easy to maintain - just some glass cleaner during regular cleanings. They do tend to spot a bit depending on the color and especially if your water is "hard". ...they are not as fragile as people think and it is very cool to uplight them from below - however as pointed out, if you get a lighter color or even clear, expect that you will see all the plumbing underneath... We cannot see the plumbing under this particular sink.

As for copper, this is a WAY different look (we love it). Not as elegant, but more of a earthy or "old world" style. Copper is very easy to clean - just soap and water - and we use the wax that Copper Sinks Online provided us about once a month.

Here is our kitchen:

{{gwi:1433664}}

And our bar sink:

{{gwi:1433665}}

If you are considering a copper vessel sink, I have posted a link where you can go to take a look (this is a great company - we have dealt with them before). There are a few others on this board that have gone this route and love these sinks. ....again, I think it's a much different look, so it depends on what you are after in your project.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper Vessel Sinks

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

Just heard from ideamom. She said it was ok for me to post her email address (concerning the Oceana sinks)

dfarmer4@hotmail.com

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

flying high--If you were striving for art, you've succeeded! Those rooms are absolutely beautiful. I would want to just stand around and ooh and aah. I'd never get anything done! Although I really like the copper, I think I'd like the softer look of the glass better for our use. I did find the sinks in Peoria, so I'm going tomorrow to check them out. Can't wait!

• flyinghigh
    15 years ago

Thank you for the compliments, sjt2900. One thing I would suggest is that you look at more than just Oceana. There is a whole world of glass sinks out there - everything from the "cheapies" from Asia up to the one-of-a-kind hand blown glass vessel sinks.

For example, take a look at the link I have provided. There are 18 pages of glass sinks here including some from Oceana. 350+ in all (and these folks are great to deal with) :-)

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass Vessel Sinks

• oruboris
    15 years ago

Are some glass sinks made to be under mounted, or do you just use a vessel? How are they attatched?

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't tell you how they are attachted, but I know the glass sinks I'm looking at are specifically for undermounting. I'm guessing they are attached the same way any other undermount sink is. I've just never paid any attention to how my undermounts are hung.

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, I meant attached. I've been looking at this stuff so much the last couple of days my mind is fried!

• ideamom
    15 years ago

Remember not all glass sinks are created equal! Many glass sinks are made from Soda Lime Glass which cracks under temperature changes. If you are investing in a beautiful show stopper glass sink you want to make sure it will stand up to temp changes. Oceana's unique "hard roc glass" is their own formulation of borosilicate glass. Superior to soda lime glass sinks from other manufacturers, their hard roc glass sink is scratch resistant, stain resistant, thermal shock resistant. Their sinks stand up to everyday use including changes in temperature.

Here is a pic of our Oceana sink.

• flyinghigh
    15 years ago

Having lived with our hand blown glass sink for 6 years - and with at least 8+ friends that have glass sinks, I have never seen any problems with temperature cracking or scratching... I think Oceana's claim to fame is that their type of glass is supposedly better for high use applications - i.e. kitchen sinks. ...not to take anything away from Oceana - just pointing out our own experience. I would not limit myself to just this one company for a glass sink... ...and I would stay away from the production sinks from China...

I have one friend that took a glass vessel sink with a fairly flat rim and with a creative wood "saddle" underneath, they supported the sink in an undermount installation and it looks pretty cool. Another thought is that you can widen the hole in the countertop and lower the height of the sink that way for sore of a "semi-recessed" installation.

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found a dealer for the Oceana sinks in my area and they ordered sample pieces for me. I hope to get them next week. Right now I'm between Champagne Gold and Brown Reflections. I was able to look at a couple of other glass sinks, but I really like the textured look of the Oceana.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Hm. I'm pretty sure now that flyinghigh lives in a kitchens and baths showroom. No one could have that many fabulous sinks in one house! ;)

• flyinghigh
    15 years ago

LOL - ...well that answer is "you're right!". ...no, I don't live in a showroom - but we do have more than one house... :-)