Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quetion about tile size??

Posted by Math_Teacher (My Page) on
Thu, May 22, 14 at 11:43

Does it matter if you use 12" or 18" tile on the floor in relation to the size of room? We are picking out flooring for a new build. I really like the larger tile (less grout to clean), but wasn't sure if it would look right in a smaller room like a half bath. Also, I was wondering about in the master bath. We are going to tile our shower and whirlpool surround. I was wondering if it would look odd to have 18" tile on floor and 12" tile in shower and around tub?? Just looking for opinions. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quetion about tile size??

I have 12" wall tile, and 12 x 24 floor tile. Looks fine.

Larger tile is more difficult to install, easier to have lippage. So you'll need a professional tile installer.

Also you need a subfloor with little deflection. The builder needs to be aware of this.

o

The last few years we have seen larger tiles being used in bathrooms. There isn't a correct answer as each space is different and specially in a small powder room you might want to do some mockups to see if a larger tile will work out in the space. You can always cut out some cardboard pieces in the sizes you want and lay them out.

It isn't odd at all to mix different sizes. You actually want smaller tiles on the shower floor to make sure the floor isn't too slippery.

I'm remodeling my master bath and using everything from a 1-3/8" square all the way up to a 17-1/2" x 35". Have you looked on Houzz.com? They have lots of bathroom photos showing all different types and sizes of tiles.

o

I have 24" porcelain squares on my small bathroom floor so they only go 3 across most of the room. I love the look.

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here